We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping sites

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Camping sites

Hi There, being a novice in camping, and as there are many campgrounds and sites at the Rockies, I would appreciate any advice or highlights on the possible sites. I am planning to stay probably a week at the rockies ( half of the days camping and the other half in hotels) somewhere late summer/early fall 2014. My plans and preferences : 2 people, renting car and camping gear ( as we will be leaving for Toronto there after) , preferably sites with shower and power points at Banff/Lake Louise, plan to stay at Alpine Village at Jasper after that. Whole point is to experience camping at at the rockies while saving a little bit of money on accommodation ( Alpine Village is not cheap but wanted the 'cabin-feel'.) Appreciate any comments ! Thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,785 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping sites

There is a list of all the campgrounds in Banff National Park here:

pc.gc.ca/eng/…camping.aspx

There are only three campgrounds with sites with power, Tunnel Mountain Village II, Tunnel Mountain Trailer, and Lake Louise Trailer. I am pretty sure tents are not allowed at LL Trailer; a separate campground area for tents is behind an electric fence because the area is a grizzly bear hotspot. If you can do without power at your site, you have a few more choices.

If by renting camping gear, you mean a tent, make sure you get decent sleeping bags - night-time temperatures down to or slightly below freezing are not unusual at that time of year.

Edited: 5:46 pm, October 12, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping sites

haven't stayed there but two jacks lake campground looks nice and gets good reviews. it's a ways out of town though so great if you prefer more quiet. tunnel mountain is handy in that it is pretty close to town but out campsite (tenting) still was peaceful. the handy thing with that one is, there is public transportation from the campground to the town so if you didn't want to drive one day, you could still get around. you can actually walk to town but going back to the campsite is all up hill so not great for everyone.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping sites

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I think I will consider between the Tunnel Mountain and the Lake Louise campground ( I read there's one with electric fence for bear caution but very near railway). Prefer to be nearer to interest sites as for eg Lake Louise, the hotels and all are soo expensive and not to my liking for the price I pay. So, rather try out camping instead.

4. Re: Camping sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 15, 2014