We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

Bristol, England...
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

Hi All

This is my first time posting a topic so please bare with me.

My fiancé and I are getting married next year and are thinking about having a Honeymoon in and around the Rockies.

We are thinking about The Calgary Stampede, the Rockies, Kayaking in the lakes or rivers, and viewing wildlife. We are considering hiring a car for a fly drive or maybe a camper. We are fairly out-doors-y so want to make the most of this amazing area as it may be our 1 and only trip to this part of the world.

Based on flight prices I think we want to end in Calgary with the stampede for 2-3days so we can do the parade, shows and events.

There seems to be no end of ideas and advice so and we are at a loss of who to listen to and what to do.

Please can anybody suggest an itinerary and where we should go and stay.

Many thanks

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,819 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

Hi, Andrew, and welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! There are lots and lots of itinerary ideas to be had if you read through some of the trip reports that have been contributed by various TripAdvisor forum users. Have a look over to the right of your monitor screen to the "Top Questions" section. There is also one there with information about renting a campervan or RV.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

I think it is a good idea to do the mountains first. The peak season starts July 1st, so the prices in the Banff area will go up. So if you can start there in June, it will be a little cheaper and a little less crowded.

Campers are pretty expensive in the summer months. My husband and I were just looking into it recently...and I think it would be cheaper to rent a car and stay in a hotel. On the other hand, with a camper, you'd have a little kitchen and be able to save by making your own food. When you get to Calgary though, you are better off with a smaller vehicle or staying in a central location and taking transit. There is a light rail that goes to the Stampede Grounds.

There are not of kayaking tours in the Banff area but I did white water rafting tours in the mountains near Calgary. I did it a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. I don't remember the name of the company though...but here is an example.

http://www.kananaskiswhitewaterrafting.com/

You can rent canoes at Lake Louise but it's kind of overpriced and crowded...if you drive into B.C., there are probably more water sports like kayaking available.

One thing I always recommend is the drive from Banff to Jasper. It's not a long drive (about 300km), but if you have never seen the Rockies before you'll want to spend a whole day doing that drive making lots of stops along the way. The scenery is just stunning!

There are lots of hiking trails, sight-seeing gondolas, hot springs, and opportunities to see wildlife in the Rockies.

If you want to get away from the Banff area...Waterton Lakes National Park in Southern Alberta is very beautiful and I always see lots of wildlife when we go there (deer, black bears etc). It's not quite as busy as Banff area as it is a farther drive from Calgary (about 3.5 hours). It borders Glacier National Park in Montana.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Waterton Lakes National Park
Waterton Lakes National...
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Montana
Montana
United States
scotland
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

hane a look at rocky mountain escape by jasper,in the Wilmore wilderness park .only 3 cabins and laura cooks amazing food........breakfast ,dinner packed lunch ,trail walks all included in the price.you can stay 2 nights or aweek......very romantic

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
30,160 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

It worth seeing the responses to the thread on the BC forum as well.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k690374…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

renting a camper van/rv can be expensive and you need to be confident drivings for driving on the "opposite" side of the curvy roads. however, for out doorsy people...imo, it can be worth it. sitting outside at night with a nice fire...watching the stars...etc. waking up and walking out to the beautiful scenary. i love it. if you don't need power, i really like snaring river campground in jasper. there is white water rafting on the kicking horse river based out of golden bc. they have shuttles from banff. as mentioned, read all the information on this forum re routes. there's a ton. if you are wanting to go to the stampede in calgary, you need to book your accommodations asap as most hotels book up really early.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

My first suggestion would be to post your preferences and budget, as well as dates. We have a long weekend in July and August, so prices go up and reservations are definitely need during that time.

As well, are you hoping to camp the entire time, or are you looking for hotel ideas as well? In 2 weeks, you can easily spend 3 to 4 days in Banff, then another 3 to 4 days in Jasper, and the rest in Calgary. However if you are flying from the UK direct to Calgary, then you might want to think about spending your first night in Calgary to deal with any jet lag and leave the next day for Banff.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

Ok, seeing you are from the uk, you will want to see the rodeo and the chuck wagon races in Calgary. Figure about 10 days to really see Banff, jasper & yoho parks.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
8. Re: Advice please - 2 Weeks Honeymoon in and around Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 16, 2014