We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 2013 Rockies tour

Armagh, Northern...
5 posts
July 2013 Rockies tour

My wife and I are hiring a car and travelling from Vancouver to Calgary as as the last leg of our holiday. We are in our late fifties. We leave Vancouver before lunch time on Tuesday 23rd July and are flying out of Calgary on the evening of Saturday 27th July. I would appreciate any suggestions on the best route to take, attractions to visit and places to stay during that time. We probably prefer mid priced accomodation, preferably with breakfast included (although not essential).

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,816 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

Hi and welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! For route information, take a look to the right of your screen - the third in the list of "Top Questions" gives the answers to this very frequently asked question. The itinerary one just above it will also assist you with information on where to stop and what to see and do.

Since you have only four nights, this is very much a whirlwind tour... we usually recommend a minimum of five to seven days just for the Canadian Rockies national parks, and two days for the drive between Vancouver and the Rockies. So you will have to decide what your priorities are... do you want to take a more leisurely road trip with a bit of driving each day and one-night stopovers along the way to have a quick visit to a few places, or just blast through to the Rockies and then try to maximize the time you have left in Banff and Yoho National Parks?

Armagh, Northern...
5 posts
2. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

thank you for your response. I would consider "blasting through" to the Rockies unless there is more of interest to see along the way. where do you think our time is better spent - visiting villages on the way up, or in around Banff /Yoho?

Brecon, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

Hi there,

My partner and I did this trip last summer but the other way around - Calgary to Vancouver, although we took 2 weeks! I guess its all down to personal preference but we considered the best part of our holiday to be the time spent in the Rockies. We spent 3 nights in Banff and 2 nights in Lake Louise. There is so much to do around that area. Nearer to Vancouver the only real place of interest we stayed at was Harisson Hot Springs but you could call in there on the way past.

Personally, with the limited amount of time you had I'd say your time would be better off spent around Banff & Yoho. We stayed in Revelstoke and Kelowna (between Banff and Vancouver) and even though they are beautiful places we didn't feel like they compared to the Banff/Yoko area.

Hope this helps :)

Armagh, Northern...
5 posts
4. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

Thanks for that. That is really helpful. Do you think that I should pre-book accomodation (last week in July) or would there be ample opportunity to book daily depending on where we are at on any particular day, especially Banff/Calgary

Brecon, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

Personally I would book in advance as that area is a popular place, but on the other hand there is plenty of accommodation in the area and I'm sure you'd find somewhere. I think it would again come down to personal preference, I like to know that everything is sorted before I go! I'm rather envious of your trip as I would love to go there again. I'm guessing you have heard about the flooding there at the moment around Lake Louise, Banff and Canmore so maybe you should check that out before you go too. I know ia few weeks away yet but some roads have been washed away and the Trans-Canada highway is closed with no estimated re-opening time. Might be best to find an alternative route and factor that into your plans "just incase" some roads haven't been re-opened.

Armagh, Northern...
5 posts
6. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

Thanks Rhiana. I like to know that I've got everything sorted as well, it's just that I wondered about being too restricted location wise over having pre booked everything, but i think I will go ahead and book it up tomorrow to be on the safe side. Yes I had read about the flooding - it would be a real shame if we weren't able to visit Banff/Lake Louise. We will be with friends in Abbotsford, Vancouver before we set off so should be able to seek up to date advice.

Really beginning to look forward to the trip now. We set off on Thursday for Dublin airport, stopping overnight, then flying Dublin - LHR - San Francisco, arriv Fri Nt. We have a few days in SF before being picked up by our Amer friends in their RV on Wed, then we travel with them up the Oregon Coast until 18th, when our Canadian friends drive down from BC to pick us up. We spend 4 or 5 days with them gradually making our way up to Vancouver, where we pick up a pre-booked hire car and setting off for Banff/Calgary, flying back to the UK on the evening of Sat 27th July. (We might stop overnight at my dad's cousin's house at Salmon Arm, near Kamloops for one night)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

Actually, we now expect the Trans-Canada to open for the Canada Day long weekend, which starts on Friday. I'll try to find a link for you.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

See the Parks Canada statement partway down this page; no guarantees that the highway will reopen for the weekend, but an actual date has been mentioned for the first time, which inspires some optimism:

http://www.canmore.ca/

"From Parks Canada:

"Work has begun to repair the three flood-damaged bridges along the westbound lanes of the Trans-Canada Highway between Banff and Canmore. At Carrot Creek, just inside the park's east gate, construction of a detour road and temporary replacement bridge is underway. At two other locations, an animal underpass and at 40-Mile Creek, undermined foundations and erosion created by the flooding are also being repaired. Our goal is to restore four-lane traffic along the full length of the Trans-Canada Highway through the park by the July 1 long weekend."

I should also point out that this statement only applies to the Carrot Creek bridges west of Canmore, not the Cougar Creek bridges on the Trans-Canada just east of Canmore (between Canmore and Calgary).

Edited: 5:02 pm, June 25, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,161 posts
94 reviews
9. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

And I keep forgetting to mention that you can take a Brewster Connect or Banff Airporter shuttle to get from the Calgary airport to Banff via Canmore. Cars are not allowed, though.

www.banffairporter.com

brewstertransportation.com/banff-airport-exp…

Armagh, Northern...
5 posts
10. Re: July 2013 Rockies tour

Thanks Country Wife for the very useful update!