We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Fees

Bridport, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Park Fees

We're over in June and RV'ing from Calgary up to Jasper and then down to Waterton with all the major tourist spots thrown in.

Have been trying to work out the park fees and have been told that a 'national pass' may be better value but can't find much information.

Any pointers gratefully received!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,619 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Fees

www.pc.gc.ca/eng/agen/tarifs-fees/index.aspx

Cheers,

Terry

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Fees

It is generally accepted that, for 7 days or more in the National Parks, it is more economical to purchase an annual pass.

Bridport, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Fees

Thank you for the responses. Stupid follow up question:

I'm assuming the daily rate means that at the entrance you tell them how many days you're going to be staying and that rate is then multiplied by that number? So for example 3 days in Banff would currently cost $29.40 per adult (that's a whopping 60 bucks for 2 of us and I expect GST on top!).

I'm used to the USA where you're entrance fee generally covers you for at least a week at a time.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Fees

You have only mentioned Banff (NP) for three days but also Jasper (NP) in your original post. The time there would need to be worked out as well, along with any other of the National Parks you might be visiting, to see if the family/group annual fee might be more economical.

The fees are what they are, and are used to maintain the parks and facilities in exceptionally good conditions, so I have no problem with them.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Fees

Yes, you can pay for several days at once.

I suggest you check out this TripAdvisor Traveler Article about the park entrance fees; a section at the end ("Too Expensive?") compares the cost of admission to the national parks to the cost of other Alberta attractions:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13975/Banff-…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Fees

A couple of years ago, we paid $25 for a day at Grand Canyon NP in the US..That pass would have allowed us a week, but we only had a day and there is no daily pass option, only the weekly one. So, on a basis of a single day's visit, the Canadian Rocky Mountain national parks compare favourably. Unfortunately, the Parks Canada passes come only in daily or annual "flavours", so if you will be visiting national parks or national historic sites for a total of seven days, buy the annual pass.

I believe the Banff National Park entry kiosks on highway 1 are staffed from 7 am until 11 pm.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,676 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park Fees

I have to agree that a middle rate for a 7 to 10 day stretch would make a huge amount of sense, but it is what it is. Keep in mind that the annual pass also gets you into national historic sites, so if you decide to get one, then you may as well find out what NHS there are along your route and visit those as well.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park Fees

Several people on TA have commented about the high prices of the Canadian Rockies for accommodations, food, gas and yes, the NPs fees/structure in comparison to the states. For all these reasons, we have postponed the Canadian Rockies and chosen the states for our trips for the past few years. But as someone said, 'it is what it is', and you can choose to go or not to go. The Canadian Rockies are magnificent and, costs aside, I think you'll really have a wonderful trip! As for us, we have chosen the Canadian Rockies for our trip in 2014. After not being there since about 2000, we're really looking forward to it!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
698 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park Fees

Just wanted to make sure one thing clear - if you buy an annual pass then. It covers all National Parks not just the one you happen to buy it in so really good value.

ANother aside for Banff regulars, did you realize you can get a second pass for a second car in the same family thrown in ? They make it quite difficult with a firm to fill in from the main tourist centre in Banff then you need to send off the original receipt and copies of registration of both cars but we certainly find it useful not having to swap the pass over.

Rob

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Park Fees

That's a great tip, Rob! I'll have to look into that. But it's probably only useful for us locals :(