We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed planning itinerary for summertime 7 day trip

Woodmere, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Help needed planning itinerary for summertime 7 day trip

Hi we will be flying in and out of Calgary and would love some help planning our 7 day trip from Banff to Jasper and back (wondering if I could get in a day at Yoho or glacier national park too). There seem to be so many beautiful lakes, I am not sure which ones to be sure not to miss. We will be traveling with 3 children, so we are interested in easy hikes, canoeing or easy rafting, and definitely animal sightings...Any advice on how to plan the trip and hotel recommendations would be appreciated. The children are great in the car, so we don't mind pushing them a bit to have fully packed days and make the most of the experience. Thanks in advance!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
16,397 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Help needed planning itinerary for summertime 7 day trip

Hi and welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! Have a look over to the "Top Questions" at the right of your screen, and click on the second-from-the-top one, which is a compilation of trip reports from various TA posters. That will help to give you an overview of the various possibilities.

Mid Sussex
Level Contributor
16 posts
150 reviews
2. Re: Help needed planning itinerary for summertime 7 day trip

Hi. Sounds like a nice trip you are working on.

Driving from Calgary to Banff, along the Trans-Canada highway you will be lucky to see any wildlife. You have a greater chance driving the 1A or the Parkway as it is referred to colloquially. It is a much nicer drive as well.

Coming into Banff you have Lake Minnewanka, great for canoeing or kayaking. Moraine Lake and Lake Louise are good for vistas and walking/hiking around. 50km out of Lake Louise is Peyto Lake which is my personal favourite. It's an easy walk to Bow Summit, which provides a fantastic backdrop.

Maligne Lake, outside of Jasper is lovely as well. You can always take the boat to Spirit Island, which I believe was enshrined on the Canadian $20 bill years ago. But I could be wrong.

In terms of accommodation, there are plenty of options in Banff. Something like the Douglas Fir Resort might be of interest. It has indoor waterslides and seems to be popular with families. There are also a number of backcountry-type cabins to be found in the parks. Lots of options here.

Hope you have a nice time whenever you go.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
24,913 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Help needed planning itinerary for summertime 7 day trip

Moraine Lake, near Lake Louise, is the one that was on the $20 bill. The similar names can get confusing!

Woodmere, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Help needed planning itinerary for summertime 7 day trip

DrNBC - thanks for the heads up about the 1A - seeing wildlife is a priority for my children, so we will definitely head towards banff that way. we have now planned to stay in Banff for one night, Lake Louise for 2 nights (will def hit moraine lake and Yoho - but wondering if its worth driving further west towards the canadian glacier park) - then will drive the icefields and spend 2 nights in jasper and finally head back to Banff for the simple hikes/exploration/relaxation over the weekend. Now working on specific hikes and canoeing and rafting trips (and maybe horseback riding) - if I can find places that will allow a 4 year old to be included.

5. Re: Help needed planning itinerary for summertime 7 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2014