We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going on Alaskan cruise - but want to do Rockies too!

1 post
Save Topic
Going on Alaskan cruise - but want to do Rockies too!

Hello from Toronto!

We are a family if 5: 2 adults, 3 kids between ages 6-11 that are doing a disney cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver aug 26-sept 2.

We are interested in flying out one week prior to see a bit of the western Canada/ Rockies - our first time!

This is my loose plan please give me your thoughts- yes u know it will be tight,

Fly to Edmonton - want to go to WEM

Drive to jasper

Drive ice lands pkwy to banff

to okanagin valley

To Vancouver then on our cruise,

Then fly to toronto

We would rent a one way rental - I will try with Canadian affair to avoid the one way drop off fee.

So? Doable? Or am I off my rocker to attempt Edmonton to Vancouver via jasper/banff in one week? Lol I doubt we will get out to western Canada again for a long time so we would like to see as much as we can.... Thanks in advance!

calgary
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going on Alaskan cruise - but want to do Rockies too!

Not off your rocker at all, sounds like a good plan except for WEM, personally I would skip that for time in the rockies.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going on Alaskan cruise - but want to do Rockies too!

If you haven't already booked your flights, and if WEM is not an absolute "must do" for you (go to the CNE or Canada's Wonderland instead... it's a mall with the same old stores you have at home, with a few rides and a waterpark), you might want to consider flying into Calgary instead. The drive from Edmonton to Jasper is quite dull, only scenic for the last 45 minutes or hour or so. By contrast, the drive from Calgary to the mountains is much shorter and very scenic. It's only one hour longer to Jasper from Calgary (5 hours vs. 4) and gorgeous scenery the whole way. Driving the Icefields Parkway twice is never a "waste" - the views are different in each direction, and you have twice the chance of good weather.

Of course, you could also lessen the amount of driving overall (but also miss out big time on Rocky Mountain scenery) by going from Calgary to Banff, skipping Jasper, and then on to the Okanagan.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going on Alaskan cruise - but want to do Rockies too!

Yes, fly into Calgary. But then backtrack for 175 kms. and drive to Drumheller and the Royal Tyrrell Museum. Your kids (and you) will absolutely love it. No comparison to that sad WEM.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,495 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going on Alaskan cruise - but want to do Rockies too!

We went to Australia last year and I had three extra days in our itinerary. I asked my kids - go and see wild penguins, or stop in Disneyland on the way home. They took the penguins. Skip the mall and spend more time in the mountains.

A week is tight, but doable. Depending on what time you fly in, try to get at least as far as Canmore or Banff - 2 nights, up to Jasper - 2 nights, back down perhaps to Field or Golden - 1 night. Next day to Kelowna (or somewhere around there) and then on to Vancouver the next day.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,645 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going on Alaskan cruise - but want to do Rockies too!

Take it from someone who lives in Toronto area, and has been to WEM ... there is nothing there you can't experience at home ... you will regret wasting your time there.

You can't however see mountains at home, so spend the extra time in the Rockies.

6. Re: Going on Alaskan cruise - but want to do Rockies too!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 20, 2014