We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

7 posts
Save Topic
Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

Hello all. I am planning a road trip to Jasper NP from Calgary in early July with my parents. We will head out on 06/30 and head back to Calgary on 07/05. Along the way, we want to stop by Lake Louise for a night and 3 nights at Jasper. Also we are thinking to visit Yoho NP on our way back to Calgary. I'm looking for some suggestions on budget accommodations around Lake Louise and Jasper NP. Can I also get some ideas of must-sees for my trip? Will it be cold on the mountain in July? This is my first trip to Alberta/BC, so not quite sure about the weather there. Thank you all in advance! :)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,128 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

In Lake Louise, budget accommodation is at the HI Alpine Centre hostel. They have private rooms for about $110 per night, probably slightly more if you are not a member of HI.

In Jasper, private home accommodations (PHAs) offer economical accommodation at much less than the cost of hotel rooms. These are rooms or suites in residents' homes... many of them are fully self-contained, and have a kitchen or kitchenette. www.stayinjasper.com

Note that the beginning of your trip falls on the Canada Day long weekend (July 1 is Canada Day, our national holiday). Like any summer long weekend, this will be a *very* busy time in Rockies, so book well ahead (now or very soon would be good!)

For "must sees", have a look at the compiled trip reports in the Top Questions - it's the second in the list. There is also a "must see" TQ somewhere, but I am not sure where ... have a look in the Banff or Banff National Park forums (the TQs differ with each forum). The official national park websites also have good information on the special sites within each park - go to www.pc.gc.ca , then choose whichever park you want to read about.

Google will easily pull up detailed weather information for you, but you can expect night time temperatures in the 5 to 10C range, and daytime highs to run about 20 to 30C.

Edited: 2:58 pm, March 07, 2013
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

Thank you so much for your information and advice. I will definitely look into those websites. There are so many attractions on the must-sees list but I'm lack of time to visit all in this trip>.< Only got 5 days to visit Banff, Jasper and Yoho NP,...so I want to focus on the most besutiful ones at each park. Any suggestions on the places that I should not miss? Many thanks!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,128 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

Read the trip reviews. Some of them are for trips the same length as yours. Other may be longer, but in reading a few reports, you will notice the same names of places or attractions that catch *your* interest. You have told us nothing about your interests, budget etc., so how are we to know what you might think is a "must see"?

Also, there have been several threads in the past few days for people with five-day trips - check back a few pages in both this forum and maybe the British Columbia one (since many people do the route Calgary - Rockies - Vancouver or vice versa).

You'll find us more useful if you do some basic research on your own, and then use us for fine-tuning.

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

Sorry that I didn't provide enough details for my itinerary in the beginning. I'm planning to hit the road on 6/30 early morning to Lake Louise and Moraine Lake. Wondering if we will have enough time to visit Emerald Lake and Takakaw Falls on the same day as well. We will stay in Lake Louise area that night and head to Jasper NP the next morning. Expecting to spend the whole day on the road. There are reviews on the attractions along the way on the icefields parkway, just not sure how many we are able to visit within a day, so I'm looking for some advices. We are planning to lodge in Jasper that night and spend the next two full days in Jasper NP(Any recommended easy to moderate hiking trails that we can do in those two days??). Thinking to stop by Yoho NP (Maybe Lake O'Hara. If not, then will visit Emerald Lake and Takakaw Falls instead.) on that Friday on the way back to Calgary. So many attractions we would like to visit but only so much time for us...

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,128 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

Whether you have time for Yoho NP on the day you visit Lake Louise and Moraine Lake depends on whether you want to do any hikes at either of those locations (most are half-day hikes), or perhaps just stroll along the shore at Lake Louise, climb the rockpile at Moraine and then head west to Yoho (or go to Johnston Canyon?) You might want to stop at the Spiral Tunnels on the way to Yoho, or take a walk around Emerald Lake. There are very long hours of daylight in early July, so if you have the energy, you can certainly pack a lot into a day!

On your way to Jasper, the Parker Ridge or part of the Wilcox Pass trail may appeal to you. Parker Ridge is about 5 km, return - you can see the entire trail from the parking lot next to the road. If you don't want to hike all the way to the Wilcox Pass marker (8 km return), you could just hike a couple of kilometres up the trail, to the viewpoint overlooking the Athabasca Glacier, and back down. That would be maybe 3 or 4 km.

While staying in Jasper, you might like to hike the "Old Fort Point" loop; it's a loop near town that ascends to the top of a rocky knoll where you have great views of the townsite and the area surrounding, the "Three Valley Confluence"... peaks and valleys in all directions. The exact distance escapes me right now... it's either 4 or 6 km long.

At Maligne Lake, both the Opal Hills and Bald Hills trails are great hikes. Both are around 8 km with about 350 metres of elevation gain. If you want shorter, easier trails, there are the Mary Schaffer loop (lakeshore) or the Moose Lake loop, or the Evelyn Lake trail.

The Valley of the Five Lakes is also a good trail - there are interconnecting loops, so you can hike a 3 km loop, an intermediate one, or up to 10km.

The trail from the Jasper Tramway upper terminal to the top of the mountain (and even over to the other side, if you want to have a wander on alpine tundra) is also worthwhile.

Here is a link to the website for the Canada Day (July 1) celebrations in Jasper: http://www.jaspercanadaday.com/

7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

Thank you very much for your post and for the excellent advice! :) Definitely will check out the recommended hiking trails in Jasper.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

If you are"thinking" of stopping in Yoho and doing Lake O'Hara, think again. Lake O'Hara can not just be added on the spur of the moment. you need to call 3 months to te day to get bus reservations into the area. Sometimes there are cancellations but don't count on it.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,128 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

And sometimes, even when you call 3 months to the day and constantly "re-dial" for over three hours, you still won't be able to get through. :(

Edited: 12:51 am, March 15, 2013
9. Re: Need suggestions on accommodation and itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 17, 2014