We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,413 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
"Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

Posting here to "whet the appetite" of the various posters who are currently planning their trips to the Canadian Rockies. :-) It might also address some of those frequent questions about whether it's "worth" coming to see the Rockies in winter or early spring.

This 15-minute short film is made by time-lapse photography, at sites all through the national parks. The film is one of the current offerings of the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour but you can watch it online at:

http://vimeo.com/45941676

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

Wow. There is some wonderful photography in this film. Thanks for linking it krp. But you realise that now everyone will want to do/see those wonderful remote locations where the cameras were set, and see the Aurora Borealis. :) At least Peyto and some of the areas feature are accessible.

A warning for others. The content is very HD, and our internet speeds in Australia are not as fast (yet) as in Nth America, so it was not just time-lapse photography - it was time lapse viewing. After a minute or two I just paused the film, went away and did other things, read a few other forums, then came back to watch it uninterrupted.

Edited: 5:16 am, February 01, 2013
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,413 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

The other option is to switch of the "HD" setting. I had to do that to be able to view it... so it's not just Aussie internet that is slow. ;-) I tried doing as you did, leaving it for a bit to allow some time for it to download or buffer or whatever the correct term might be, but that didn't really work for me either.

Glad you enjoyed it, Frommy!

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

Wow! Mesmerising. And such an incredible amount of work. Thanks for that.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

I loved the effect of gradually moving the position of the time lapse camera so to create the moving impression of the same scene.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

I saw this yesterday but just watched it now. Just a beautiful production. The photographer, Paul Zizka, certainly has a way with a camera. I had a renewed realization from watching that I had forgotten as a city slicker ... that the night sky there will be so completely different than my night sky. And you get to camp as much as you like in all that! Thanks for posting krp.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
408 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

Thanks for posting this beautiful film. And roll on 30th August when I will be able to see it for myself.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,554 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

That is stunning krp. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
456 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

Magnificent. Thanks for sharing.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

Molto Grazie krp ~~,

Extremely clever use of time lapse still photograpy to create the perception of video. A great deal of work for a great end result!

OMG, I still have an old bellows camera like the one featured- 8 shots per roll!! Damned expensive.

I thought the panning behind the tree to 'slide' the wooded glade scene from summer to winter SO clever.

Note to self- 'Must get Canon XF before I return'

toronto
Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Mountains in Motion"... beautiful short film of the Rockies

What a wonderful video! Inspired me with the spectacular scenery and the haunting music! Thank you :)