We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

Long Island
Level Contributor
86 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

Our flight into Calgary arrives late morning in early September. We have a great deal on an SUV from Enterprise.

We drive directly to Banff (we already have our park pass for the week) seeing as much of the town as possible. We are spending 2 nights at Hidden Ridge Resort (all of our accommodations have been booked). On our 1st full day regrettably we must back-track to Canmore to take a morning tour at Snowy Owl Dog Kennel (4 dog lovers). We return to Banff seeing as much of the falls, Tunnel Mountain and a drive by Lake Minnanka as possible.

On our 2nd full day we view Sunrise Corner and Vermilion Lake before taking Bow Valley Parkway via Johnson Canyon towards Lake Louise. Serious hiking on the trip is limited by a bum leg.

We spend 3 nights at Paradise Lodge & Bungalows. One full day will be a trip to Lake O'Hara. To satisfy the zip-liners we run by Golden, and on the way back take in Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls at Yoho National Park. We will have a nice dinner at The Chateau and drive by Morraine Lake as time permits.

On our 5th full day we take the Icefield Parkway to Jasper, stopping at Peyto Lake, Bow Mountain Summit and Sunwapta Falls. We spend 2 nights at Patricia Lake Bungalows (wish we had a 3rd night but not possible). I realize that Mt. Edith Cavell may or may not be accessible. Sights to see in Jasper include Maligne Canyon, a boat ride on Maligne Lake to Spirit Island, and perhaps drives around Pyramid and Patricia Lakes.

On our 7th full day we leave Jasper and stop at Athabasca Falls and the Columbia Ice Field for a ride/walk onto the glacier, before continuing on to Calgary and the Courtyard Airport Hotel. If we can catch our breath and have a nice day we may try to work in a cable car ride or two.

The next morning we fly home. Any comments and how did I do? I cannot thank the regulars on this forum enough for all I have learned from them. See you in the Canadian Rockies in September.

Edited: 2:17 am, January 19, 2013
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

Sounds like a great holiday, and I hope you have a great time!

Just one note - Bow Summit (which is the summit of Bow Pass, not the summit of a mountain) and the Peyto Lake viewpoint are one and the same place.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,773 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

I'm often in awe of the Rockies Regulars myself.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

Extremely well IMHO!

I understand you are restricted for time and you've certainly made the most of each minute you have. Take the best camcorder you can lay hands on to relive it would be my advice (Canon XF100).

Long Island
Level Contributor
86 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I feel silly not knowing about the two view points being the same but without a guide book it has not been easy to plan. I am not saying this to push a product, as I have looked into purchasing one of several guidebooks. You all know the 3 or 4 best, but I wanted a recent one. I contacted Moon Publications and their new edition for the Canadian Rockies will hit the stores in April or May. I like Moon (a personal favorite from my last couple of trips) but it is probably not any better than Frommers or Lonely Planet, etc, but they all become out-dated so soon.

The camcorder is a good suggestion and I appreciate it. Although I must say I was very much impressed by a recent post here by Frommy. I don't feel the need to even bring a camera anymore. And thanks to him for that. I also have a personal problem with cameras/camcorders on vacations, as I become so obsessed with capturing everything it takes away from my enjoyment of the trip and annoys those I am with (mainly the wife), but that is probably just me.

Again, thanks so much to everyone here. I am sure I will post several additional questions as my trip gets closer.

Ohio
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

We took a trip that was very similar. This area is one of our favorites. Have a wonderful time. We also visited in Sept.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
457 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

Sounds like a great plan and similar to a trip we took early last September. We enjoyed it so much that we are returning again in mid-September, 2013. Tried as I might, we were not able to get reservations for Lake O'Hara; maybe this year. We, too, are hoping Mt. Edith Cavell is accessible again. If it works for you, Vermillion Lake is great at sunrise--peaceful, beautiful colors on the water, and we even had an elk walking down the road in the early morning light. This year we hope to see the Larch change color. We love the thought of returning! Have a wonderful trip.

Ohio
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

If you don't get reservations for Lake O'Hara, you can try getting a spot by just showing up at the bus stop. There were spaces available when we went and the people waiting got seats on the bus.

Singing..I see you are from Hendersonville. We are heading there tomorrow.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
457 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

Thanks for the Lake O'Hara tip--it's probably what we should have done last year, but it gives us one more convincing reason to return. Yes, we've lived in Hendersonville for 5 years since retiring! Love it here--you'll be experiencing our several days of winter; it's been unseasonably warm. Is this a pleasure trip?

9. Re: A Student Of This Forum Gives Thanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 02, 2014