We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

Hi,

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (14 and 9 year old) have two weeks to explore Canadian Rockies in the first half of June. We can fly into Vancouver or Calgary. From what I have seen so far on Tripadvisor forums we would like to visit Banff and Jasper. Do we have time to see more?

We'd like it to be an adventure kind of vacation with some activities like whitewater rafting, horseback riding, hiking, etc. One of the adults is a photographer very interested in finding photo opportunities on the way.

Wondering if renting RV would have any advantages (especially for the budget :-)

I would appreciate any help/advice regarding possible itinerary. Where should we fly in (Vancouver or Calgary)? RV or B&Bs?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

Thank you for info about the park pass. Does it make any difference if we buy it online or in the park?

Also I am wondering about our days

Day 5. Kaslo, Nokusp, Galena Bay, Revelstoke

Day 6. Clearwater

Day 7. Valemount

Should we be going to Yoho instead. I am not finding a lot of info online about Clearwater and Valemount.

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Valemount
Valemount
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,693 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

No, it doesn't make any difference if you buy your pass online or in the park.

I can't really answer your question about Yoho versus Clearwater & Wells Gray Provincial Park fully, because I haven't been to Wells Gray and seen Helmcken Falls there. However, Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park is the most spectacular waterfall I have seen in Canada - better than Niagara, in my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Wells Gray Provincial Park
Wells Gray Provincial...
564 Reviews
Clearwater, Canada
Helmcken Falls
Helmcken Falls
714 Reviews
Clearwater, Canada
Takakkaw Falls
Takakkaw Falls
676 Reviews
Yoho National Park, Canada
Yoho National Park
Yoho National Park
390 Reviews
Field, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

Maia,

How did your holiday go?

My husband & I are planning a long trip to USA & Canada next year to include 3 weeks in the Rockies. I have picked up lots of tips from the replies to your topic. We are hiring a motor home and at the moment going at routes to cover the best sights.

Any further tips and advice would be appreciated.

Vivienne

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Canada
Canada
North America
Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

Hi Vivienne,

We had an amazing trip. I wish we had 3 weeks!

I have written detailed report about our time in Canada here - http://familytravelphoto.weebly.com/canada

I hope you'll find it helpful!

Maia

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

Thank you for your prompt reply & for the link. I had heard about the floods - sorry to hear that you were effected. I was interested in your early starts - good advice. The weather looked cold - do we take our thermals?!! When I have studied it properly can I come back & ask more questions?

Vivienne

Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

We hardly ever used our short sleeve clothes, but it was a very comfortable weather for hiking. I think we mostly used our long sleeve base layer and took waterproof jackets along. Evenings do get cooler and you would need a sweater.

Definitely early starts if you want to have at least some time to enjoy beautiful sights without crowds.

Feel free to ask questions. I always plan my trips using TripAdvisor. That's the reason I felt compelled to finally take time to write some trip reports. Of course, I will be happy to help fellow traveler :-).

I might be changing my web address in a day or so. I will post a change here if it happens.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

Hi Maia..we are also thinking of June as a trip..i was curious about your RV…what kind did you rent. I didn't' see in the pics (but did not look through all of them).

were you glad you rented the RV? and would you do anything different.

Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

We rented from Canadream - booked ways ahead, I think in March, maybe. They had some promo deal then. It was cheaper not to specify what kind of RV we wanted, but to choose an option where we would take whatever they give us as long as four of us can fit in. We ended up getting Maxi Motorhome MHA which was very comfortable and spacious. Pick-up, drop-off was very efficient and fast, though we had chosen an option of early pick up and late drop off so maybe that made it easier.

We were definitely glad that we had RV. We felt like it gave us more flexibility, especially since in the end our plans were all messed up by flooding and we were not able to get to some places that we originally have planned to visit. If we had hotels booked in those places, we would have lost money. We also find it more relaxing to be able to unpack in one place for 2 weeks rather than unpack/pack every day or two in a new hotel.

With two kids (10 an 15 year old) it was more fun and more adventure-like to camp with RV, cooking dinners on the fire, etc. Yet it was also comfortable - both for sleeping and for travel. Definitely we would have not done it differently.

Good luck with planning your trip!

Edited: 3:47 am, December 21, 2013
bedford
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

Thanks so much. I was worried about the hooking and unhooking everyday to start your drive.

Was that a pain.

And showers everyday for me. Making sure I like the rv shower

Ukraine
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 2 weeks in Canadian Rockies in June

RV showers are fine. Hooking, unhooking is a matter of a few minutes and you really don't need to do it daily - we did every 2-3 days. It was enough water for us to do dishes and to take short showers. You can definitely get by with hooking up every other day. And it's not difficult.