We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Topic
Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

Hello :)

After much help and input from you fabulous people i've finalised the plan for our roadtrip next summer

(We start with a few days in New York then fly to Calgary on the first day below:

Tuesday 17 NY - Banff

Wen 18 Banff

Thursday 19 Banff - Moraine Lake - Lake Louise (my Birthday)

Friday 20 LL

Saturday 21 LL - Icefields parkway to Jasper

Sunday 22 Jasper

Monday 23 Jasper

Tuesday 24 Jasper via Icefields parkway - Yoho

Wed 25 Yoho

Thursday 26 Yoho - Nakusp (Or Nelson - but that adds 2 hours)

Friday 27 Nakusp - Okanagan Valley (for winneries :)

Saturday 28 Okanagan Valley - Vancouver Island

Sunday 29 Van Island

Monday 30 Van Island

Tuesday 31 Van Island

Wed 1 Van Island

Thursday 2 Van Island - Whistler

Friday 3 W - Vancouver

Saturday 4 Van

Sunday 5 Van

Monday 6 Van - FLY (evening flight, so full day)

We've started booking accomodation already (as we've taken on board the comments to book early!)

Whistler is still an optional and we could cut it from the trip and spend an extra night in either vancouver island or Vancouver.

Our main goal for Vancouver Island is to see bears and whales and just relax with nature - any recommendations on a plan around the island would be welcome as not sure what's doable in the 5 days we have there.

As we are starting to book things, please take a look and shout if any of this isnt great! We can move things booked at this point in time :)

Also any must do's you think we should do at certain points would be welcome :)

Thank you!!

Becky

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,937 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,566 Reviews
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Yoho National Park
Yoho National Park
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Nelson
Nelson
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Okanagan Valley
Okanagan Valley
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,803 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

<<any recommendations on a plan around the island >>

For that part of your itinerary, you would get better and more responses by posting on the forums for Vancouver Island. There, you're more likely to encounter posters with a special interest in the area. It's a long way from the Cdn Rockies ...

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

Ok I'll do that for that part of the trip thank you!!

I've been so focused on the Canadian Rockies part that I haven't given t that much thought yet and auto piloted posting in here with that question!!!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

Lake Louise and Lake Moraine are very popular during this time so we would recommend going early in the morning (before 9) or in the evening (after 6). There is still light until around 10 pm so they are still beautiful in the evening! What else do you have planned whilst you are in the Banff National Park?

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

Ah super that is great! We're early risers and with our body clocks probably being 'ahead' early mornings should be a breeze (she says...!) ok, so for Banff:

Day one - land in Calgary in the am (9.30am ish).

We may head out to Eau Clare distillery and have a late brunch (and gin! for the none driver!). Or we'll have breakfast in Calgary - either way we'll head on over to Banff (township) stopping on the way (suggestions welcome!) and then exploring around the township. We've already booked Banff avenue B and B where we'll be for the night.

Day two - Banff - further explore the Banff area - there is the gondola and the lake nearby and looks like a few trails too. Also seen some horseback tours. Any suggestions are welcome for the Banff leg as there seems to be so much we've not managed to narrow it down yet!

Day three - My birthday - up early and onto Moraine Lake. Spend the morning there and picnic for lunch before heading onto Lake Louise (again any stops on this route please shout!) we've also heard of route 1a perhaps being a bit more scenic... although I can't see there being any 'un scenic' routes!!

Lake Louise in the afternoon - we've booked th Post Hotel (I really wanted the fairmont but it was $900 exl tax) for the basic room with no lake views - I just couldn't justify the cost for the basic room with. O lake views!!) so we've gone for the cabins st Post Hotel on the river. Get the shuttle to lake louise and if we have time pop to Agnes Tea house ( I think it's a 2-3 hour hike in total?) and the tea house is open until 5pm. Have a slice of cake (it is my birthday after all!) and head back. Enjoy the lake and then for dinner at the Post ( and probably a relax in the pool!).

Day four - explore Lake Louise - thinking the plain of 6 glaciers - perhaps on a horse or perhaps walk in the am. Brunch/Lunch at the tea house. Afternoon canoe on lake louise and then just enjoy the surrounding area. Hopefully dinner at the fairmont. Overnight at the Post

Day five - drive to Jasper via ice fields parkway. There seem to be plenty of things to see on here! Suggestions of what to see and timings welcome. We'll drive back via this route! Overnight at Patricia lake

Day 6 - day at mount Robson. Overnight at Patricia lake

Day 7 - explore other areas of jasper (we want to see spirit island!) and perhaps to the hot springs early evening. Overnight at Patricia

Day 8 - drive back via icefields parkway. If we want to revisit anything (on the parkway) or lake louise etc we have the opportunity to 😊 Noted the weather so hopefully gives us a 'second chance' if needed!! Stay in Yoho (probably field - but not booked yet!)

Day 9 - Yoho. Takkakw waterfall - hike around here and see Emerald lake.

Day 10 - head out of Yoho via Wapta falls. Onto glacier NP and revelstoke then down to Nukusp (or maybe Nelson) for the night!

So that's the plan - suggestions welcome 😊😊😊

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff Avenue B&B
Banff Avenue B&B
263 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,937 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Post Hotel & Spa
Post Hotel & Spa
1,112 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Mount Robson Inn
Mount Robson Inn
1,800 Reviews
Jasper, Canada
Yoho National Park
Yoho National Park
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Emerald Lake
Emerald Lake
1,035 Reviews
Yoho National Park, Canada
Nelson
Nelson
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

Oh yes details about us or help - we're a married couple in our early 30's (we I'll be late twenties when we first arrive!!).

We love hiking, canoeing, exploring and are desperate to see lots of amazing scenery and wildlife. I also enjoy horse riding (although no expert!) but the hubby doesn't!! We love road trips and driving so share the driving 😊

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

Oh yes details about us or help - we're a married couple in our early 30's (we I'll be late twenties when we first arrive!!).

We love hiking, canoeing, exploring and are desperate to see lots of amazing scenery and wildlife. I also enjoy horse riding (although no expert!) but the hubby doesn't!! We love road trips and driving so share the driving 😊

7. Re: Final draft road trip July/Aug next year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 24, 2018