We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights between Richmond, Virginia and Charleston please

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights between Richmond, Virginia and Charleston please

Hi

Can I ask for some quick suggestions for my parents who are in the middle of an 8 week tip around the states. They are currently in Richmond and had planned to drive the Shenandoah Skyline but the weather is really poor so have a couple of free days. They need to be in Hilton Head by the 23rd.

Leaving Richmond 19th morning

19th Outer Banks

20th Wilmington

21st Charleston

22nd Charleston

Do you have by other suggestions please?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights between Richmond, Virginia and Charleston please

Charleston is great, but I'd still stick with Skyline Dr and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Weather patterns generally travel west to east, so you'd just be following the rain to the coast. In the mountains Wednesday looks like a little bit of an iffy day (slight chance—20%—of showers, sunny in the afternoon), but Thurs - Sunday look great, sunny w/ highs in the 60s and 70s. You can swing down to Charleston from Asheville so you don't miss it. In contrast, the weather for Nags Head (Outer Banks) on Weds says showers are likely with a 70% chance of rain. Wilmington is much the same.

I'd stick close to the original plan. If they're history buffs they might check out Williamsburg and/or Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home at Charlottesville).

Then head down Skyline Dr and/or I-81 if they want to go faster to Boone and Blowing Rock NC. Check out Grandfather Mt, Linville Falls, etc, and then go down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville. From Asheville head to Charleston then Hilton Head.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights between Richmond, Virginia and Charleston please

My only thought would be to skip the night in the Outer Banks and spend two nights in Wilmington. The reason I suggest that and not two nights on the OBX is that it is just more on the way. There is plenty to see both places and your original itinerary would be fine too although one day and night would not do either justice.

I cannot recommend a stop at any place else along I-95/ I-26, but I would recommend at least a drive through Beaufort, SC on the way to Hilton Head

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights between Richmond, Virginia and Charleston please

Thank you for your responses, they have stayed in Asheville and done part of the bottom of the Blue Ridge Parkway ncluding Grandfather Mountain and I think Boone.

I will let them know the weather direction and that they would be chasing it towards the coast. I will also suggest two nights in Wilmington rate than Outer Banks.

I had lunch in Beaufort last year and really enjoyed looking around, even saw a dolphin from the shore so will definately suggest there.

Thank you

4. Re: 2 nights between Richmond, Virginia and Charleston please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, December 13, 2013