We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamptons in the Fall

Union, New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
Hamptons in the Fall

Hi all,

My small family and I are looking to get away for the first weekend in November. We will be traveling with a 2 year old and are looking for family friendly accommodations. We will have our car but would prefer to be able to walk to restaurants and things to do and be centrally located. Where should I be looking? Been reading a lot about Southampton, but I'm not really sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Upon your insight I'll do more and more research! Thanks!

Hugo

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

There are limited accommodation options for staying in a village, Hugo. In Southampton with a 2 yr old, I think the Southampton Inn which is really a glorified motel is the only option right in the village. The price is not bad though for that weekend @ $179-200/night plus tax..

southamptoninn.com

1708 House is well located but only allows children in the cottages and doesn't have prices listed.

http://www.1708house.com/

I think the Hampton Maid in Hampton Bays is nicer, across from the water and comes with breakfast for just a few dollars more/night but it's not as close to a village. At this time of year, maybe the Southampton Inn is a better option.

http://www.hamptonmaid.com/reservation/

Sag Harbor and East Hampton are also nice villages but the accommodations in town are either not very nice (Baron's Cove and Sag Harbor Inn, another glorifed motel) or very expensive and I'm not sure which of them allows children...in Sag Harbor the American Hotel is historic and charming smack in the center of town, but I don't know that they have rooms for 3. In East Hampton, the Hedges Inn looks booked for that weekend (you might phone), Mill House Inn is really expensive and so is 1770 House.

While Southampton imo is not the prettiest village, it is the closest coming from NJ and it's easy to explore the other villages from there.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

Hey nywhiz, what do you think about The Grassmere in Westhampton Beach for a quiet late fall weekend walking amongst the dunes? It looks like a nice walkable area, and unpretentious.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

jh, I'm much less familiar with Westhampton than I am with everything from Hampton Bays east. My problem with Westhampton is it's sort of isolated from other villages (at least it seems that way to me) and dining and shopping etc. options are limited. By staying there, you're limited to what's in Westhampton or you have to drive a distance. The Grassmere looks cute from the outside by the photos of the inside don't impress me. Are you asking for yourself or the OP here? Do you know Westhampton well?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

I'm asking for myself. I don't know it at all; we're just looking for a place we can stay for a night and go walk on the beach, within walking distance. A very humble weekend. I'll give it a try and report back.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

You could walk on the beach by staying at the Allegria in Long Beach and its a lot closer.;). How much is Grassmere? The Hampton Maid is also close to the water and imo nicer.

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

Hampton Maid ... we will be there that first week in Nov. ... looking forward to it.. .and then will drive South H and East and Montauk... and drive along the beach roads... hope the weather is decent... we can expect the chill but that Farmer's Almanac... is saying a few showers... :-( oh well!

Thanks for you info.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

Long Beach is too urban. At that point you might as well stay in Sheepshead Bay :)

Grassmere is $169 for one night. Hampton Maid has a two-night minimum on weekends.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

Jh, have you seen this latest review?

tripadvisor.com/members-citypage/…g48873

9. Re: Hamptons in the Fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 26, 2014