We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

never been to the Hamptons

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
never been to the Hamptons

I am a teacher and the 1st half of my summer was not good, a death in the family. I need a night or 2 to get away. I have never been to the Hamptons. Was thinking of a middle of the week getaway, less congested. Any suggestions ?

Mentioned in this post
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
NYC
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: never been to the Hamptons

Where do you want to stay, and what are your interests: Shopping, beach, restaurants, wineries, etc...? If you provide more information, we can try to help!

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: never been to the Hamptons

I have no specific agenda. I like it all. Most def. a beach person but that isn't why I would go, since I can go to the Jersey Shore. Just want to get away for a day or 2 and see The Hamptons.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: never been to the Hamptons

In addition to Tracey's questions, I'd ask how will you travel? If you're not driving you need to locate yourself in a village.

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: never been to the Hamptons

I do have a car. I am from NJ.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: never been to the Hamptons

I'd head out to Montauk for a much more laid back atmosphere. The Hamptons is all about who has more money than whom. Montauk is much more relaxed and generally full of folks who want to have a quiet time at the beach and a casual but tasty dinner at one of the many local eateries. We love the East Deck Inn located oceanfront right at Ditch Plains (where you can watch the awesome surfers!) for a simple/clean/oceanfront/kitchy place to stay!

Mentioned in this post
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
Ditch Plains
Ditch Plains
124 Reviews
Montauk, NY
Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: never been to the Hamptons

But I love hydrangeas and always heard the Hamptons are known for them.

I really want to experience the Hamptons.

Mentioned in this post
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
NYC
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: never been to the Hamptons

The quintessential Hamptons villages are Southampton and East Hampton. That's where you will find all of the huge estates with their gates and privet hedges (and yes, hydrangeas!), and each village has its own fancy stores and restaurants. Southampton is about 45 minutes west of EH (and therefore closer for you) and will also give you access to Hampton Bays, which has most of the area's waterfront restaurants, and Sag Harbor, which is a beautiful colonial-era whaling village. If you look on this forum I recently posted a link to my blog about Southampton so you can get a sense of whether that's what you have in mind for your "Hamptons experience." Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
Southampton
Southampton
Hamptons, NY
East Hampton
East Hampton
Hamptons, NY
Hampton Bays
Hampton Bays
Southampton, NY
Sag Harbor
Sag Harbor
Hamptons, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: never been to the Hamptons

The bad news is most of the hydrangeas (which I also love) are past their prime. They,re still out but somewhat faded except for the white ones which bloom later.

You can experience the Hamptons without paying the high price to sleep there. There are some newish chain hotels in Riverhead (Indigo, Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt) that are easier to book, cheaper and would allow you to spend days in the Hamptons and sleep in more comfort at less money a 30-40 min ride away. If you can find an opening at Hampton Maid in Hampton Bays, that's another idea or perhaops the Sag Harbor Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
Riverhead
Riverhead
Hamptons, NY
Hampton Maid
Hampton Maid
93 Reviews
Hampton Bays, NY
Hampton Bays
Hampton Bays
Southampton, NY
Sag Harbor Inn
Sag Harbor Inn
135 Reviews
Sag Harbor, NY
Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: never been to the Hamptons

Thank you for this great information. Sadly, my hydrangeas are brown since the drought we have been having in this NJ / NY area.

I will check out those cheaper places to stay.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: never been to the Hamptons

yashdaughter, your avatar is beautiful.