We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July advise please

NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
July advise please

Hello... a friend and I would like to visit the Hamptons the week of July 21st. We are middle aged women (omg..I cant believe I just typed the words "middle aged"..oh well) from NC. We will rent a car in NY to get there but that is as far as I have gotten.

Where should we stay??? Budget is not a huge deal. We are interested in going to the beach, shopping, good wine and food, and maybe meeting interesting people.

We would also consider renting a house for the week if I could find one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This will be my first vacation I have taken without kids in 18 years...not sure I will know what to do with myself...yeah!!

Thanks, Katie

NYC
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July advise please

Hi Katie,

I'd stay in either Southampton or East Hampton. Both are equally beautiful and have lots of shops and access to the other Hamptons villages that you'll want to visit. Southampton is near Sag Harbor, Bridgehampton, and Hampton Bays, which has the most waterfront restaurants. East Hampton is also near Sag Harbor, plus has easy access to Amagansett (which is charming but has very few restaurants) and Montauk, which has great beaches. I prefer Southampton to East Hampton because people there are a little more laid-back and there's a greater variety of restaurants, but that's just personal opinion. I can't really tell you where to stay (I have a small cottage out there so we don't stay at hotels), but I can CERTAINLY tell you where to eat! A few of my favorites are:

B. Smith (Sag Harbor): Get a round of fresh watermelon margaritas and enjoy the view of the mega-yachts.

Beacon (Sag Harbor): Another gorgeous waterfront view; arrive around 6:30 to avoid the long waits, or go at lunch instead. Amazing sunsets here.

Southampton Social Club: Go early for dinner and soak up the quintessential Hamptons scene; leave before things get rowdy unless you REALLY want to feel old! ;)

Savanna's (Southampton): Expensive but excellent food; gorgeous space and outdoor rose garden seating. Reserve in advance.

Little Red (Southampton): Great food in a casual bistro-style setting; no reservations needed.

Surf Lodge (Montauk): Go early (4-6pm) for drinks on the deck. Heaven!

Trata East (Water Mill): If the seafood here is good enough for Eric Ripert (we've seen him there a few times), it's good enough for anyone! Turns into a nightclub around 10pm. Reserve in advance.

Dockers Waterside (Quogue): Great brunch; plus my favorite view in all of the Hamptons. Great spot for happy hour since they have a large outdoor "living room." Try the blueberry mojitos!

Canal Cafe (Hampton Bays): Fantastic boat parade/marina view; HUGE lobster rolls; people there couldn't be nicer.

Navy Beach (Montauk): Great burgers right in the sand, and rose wine flowing all summer long.

Rumba (Hampton Bays): If you want to let it all hang out, this is your place. Bartender was named Best Bartender in the Hamptons for good reason. Plus, they have Rum Punch Brunch! PS: Gets crowded at dinner, which means a short ride on the Rum Bus! ;)

Oakland's (Hampton Bays): Water/commercial fishing fleet view; decent food; makes for a nice casaul dinner. Same for Tide Runners, also in Hampton Bays.

Robert's (Water Mill): Pricey but consistently excellent food in a rustic farmhouse setting. Service here is great. Reserve in advance.

East Hampton Point: Food is better than it needs to be given the amazing view.

As for wineries, be sure to visit Channing Daughters and Wolffer. Wolffer has a tasting room that's open during the day, and a "wine stand" that's open on Friday nights for "Sunset Friday." Avoid Duck Walk in Southampton - that stuff isn't wine! ;)

You can check out my trip reports + photos from last summer here. You're going to have a ball! :)

http://traceyg.travellerspoint.com/37/

http://traceyg.travellerspoint.com/34/

http://traceyg.travellerspoint.com/38/

-Tracey

NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July advise please

Thanks for your reply Tracey. I love the restaurant tips. They all sound awesome and I can't wait to try some of those drinks. I can't seem to get 'really excited over any of the hotels or B & B,'s so I am going to check out vrbo to see what houses or cottages are available that week. We would like to find one close enough to walk to some things...beach or shopping or food or drink. If I find any I might post them to see if you know where they are if you don't mind. Or if you know of any let me know. I normally go to off the beaten path caribbean islands but my youngest is going to be at a basketball camp in Maine with his father and I didn't feel comfortable being out of the states.....so Hamptons here we come. Hope ya'll don't make too much fun of our southern accents...jk.

Oh....and my mom corrected me...I am not middle age .....yet...She said the new middle age is over 50 so I got a couple years to go.

Thanks again!! Katie

NYC
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July advise please

I'd be happy to look at houses/cottages - although I obviously won't have seen the actual house, I know the area really well and can advise accordingly. For being such an upscale area, the Hamptons really do have a terrible selection of nice hotels / B&Bs, so I can see why you might be hesitant to stay at one of those. Plus, a house is probably more economical for a week's stay.

I should point out that if you're close enough to walk to restaurants and shopping in the village (whether SH or EH), you likely won't be close enough to walk to the beach, and vice versa. The Hamptons are pretty spread out so you'll definitely need a car. Having said that, if you want to walk to some things, you might consider the following "in town" spots:

1708 House, Southampton

Southampton Inn

1770 House, East Hampton

The American Hotel, Sag Harbor

PS: Just ran a quick search on VRBO . . . this house is in a great location, halfway between Hampton Bays (where all the waterfront restaurants are) and Southampton (where the shopping/fine dining is) ... not fancy, but definitely cute!

http://www.vrbo.com/312421

NC
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: July advise please

Tracey...thank you thank you thank you, the cottage is really cute and you said it was in a good location? I have already e-mailed the owner. It is available the 1st 4 nights of our trip but we could always move to a hotel the last couple days. If you run across any more, please let me know. I may need a 3 bedroom instead of 2. You know how it is when family decides they want to join in at the last minute?....well, I want to be prepared.

Thanks again for your help,

Katie

NYC
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July advise please

From that location, you'll be about 10 minutes from both Hampton Bays and Southampton, 30 minutes from Sag Harbor, and 45-50 from East Hampton. And if you're feeling adventurous, you could probably be in Montauk or up on the North Fork in about an hour from that location. Our cottage is not far from there and we love it because of the easy access to all the other Hamptons! :)

Edited: 9:25 am, May 25, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,995 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July advise please

That was a good find Tracey. ;) To OP, if you stay there for 4 nights, I think you'd need to move to a hotel/motel/inn for the other 3 since it's unlikely you'd find a rental for such a short time. Maybe you should look in Sag Harbor or East Hampton for a change of pace? East Hampton Point is at a marina and has some nice cottages.

www.easthamptonpoint.com/displaysection.php…

They also have a nice restaurant there (pricey but nice outdoor deck). This location is not near town so you'd have to drive everywhere, but it's a nice tucked away spot if you like the accommodation.

There's a very nice 2 bedroom cottage at 1770 House but it seems sold out for most of July.

http://www.1770house.com/

Mill House Inn at the end of East Hampton Village is very nice too.

http://www.millhouseinn.com/

Sag Harbor Inn is a basic motel but sits across from the water in a lovely spot, down the block from the Beacon restaurant Tracey mentioned above.

http://sagharborinn.com/

7. Re: July advise please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hamptons