We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas trip with teens....more time in LA or San Diego?

FL
Level Contributor
33 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas trip with teens....more time in LA or San Diego?

My family of four is planning a trip for a week just after Christmas. Thinking of flying into and wondering if we should stay in Orange County as a base to explore San Diego and LA? Or if we should stay in San Diego for maybe three days and then have four days to stay in either Orange County or LA? Would like to go to San Diego Zoo and explore the city of SD a bit, and then need to find fun things in LA....maybe Warner Bros or other entertainment site? We are from FL so not interested in Disney or theme parks. I'm a bit clueless about this, I know....

Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas trip with teens....more time in LA or San Diego?

Orange County is at least a 1-hour drive from San Diego, or more, so it's not good as a base for exploring San Diego. Los Angeles and San Diego are a minimum of 2 hours apart. I would stay in San Diego itself for the days you want to explore San Diego, and stay in Los Angeles on the days you want to see sights in Los Angeles. If there is nothing you want to see or do in Orange County, then there is no point in staying there.

FL
Level Contributor
33 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas trip with teens....more time in LA or San Diego?

Thanks...good advice!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas trip with teens....more time in LA or San Diego?

Figure out what you want to do and see and base yourselves in those areas. OC is in between but you will spend every day in the car if you do not want to actually see anything in OC.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas trip with teens....more time in LA or San Diego?

Split between San Diego & Orange County or SD & LA. Figure out what sights you want to see and choose based on that.

I would not assume you can skip Disney just because you are from FL. The FL and CA Disney parks are very different. Disneyland is especially nice over Christmas.

5. Re: Xmas trip with teens....more time in LA or San Diego?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 03, 2015