We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whittier, CA Lodging

Sacramento
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Whittier, CA Lodging

I will be flying into the John Wayne Airport and driving to the Rose Hills Cemetery in Whittier to do some genealogy research. I am looking for a nice hotel in a safe area closer to Whittier than the airport. I do not know the area at all and have a limited amount of time. Thanks for your help!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

Two other thoughts---

1. Arcadia. This is closer than Pasadena, but still about a 25 minute drive from Rose Hills. There are a lot of chain hotels such as Hampton Inn, just off Huntington Drive in this pleasant, upscale bedroom community. Several restaurants within walking distance.

2. Hilton San Gabriel. This is quite close, @ 10 miles, and a 20 minute drive either on freeways or partially on surface streets. This hotel is in the heart of the huge Chinese-American community of the San Gabriel Valley, and is surrounded by shopping centers and some of the best and most authentic Chinese restaurants in the country. Huge Chinese mall--San Gabriel Square-- more or less across the street. Safe but bustling area.

I don't know anything about lodging closer to Whittier-- and am not suggesting that the options above are better than just staying there. I've liked downtown Whittier when I visited many years ago. Nice small town feel.

Edited: 3:01 pm, January 26, 2013
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

The ex-Whittier peep chiming in again . . .

I think I would take the advice of PASCA in the post above. (I had also been thinking Arcadia.)

Wow, I read the posts of The Radisson in uptown Whittier and the hotel is undergoing a major revamp. Until it is completed, I would avoid it. Too bad because uptown Whittier is just real cute.

I ignored the several review complaints about the salsa music that stopped abruptly at 10:00 PM. I wondered what the issue was -- salsa music? or that it stopped at 10:00 PM?

Edited: 3:52 pm, January 26, 2013
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,447 posts
6,008 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

We have stayed at the Hilton San Gabriel - I hope Pasca has as if Pasca had he would know that the windows there are horrible. If you get a room on the wrong side, you end up with just a blank wall to look at. The rooms also have a slight smell. I liked the buffet breakfast in the morning, and closeness to the Asian San Gabriel restaurants (Several good ones), but this is the worst places to stay. This is NOT a good hotel - it looks better from the outside, but internally it was the worst one to stay at . Also, traffic patterns in/out of the hotel are not good.

On the plus side, I do agree that the Huntington Drive area of ArcadiA/Monrovia is ok - I have stayed there many many times. There are lots of restaurants here; close to the freeways; etc. The thing I started to dislike about the area was the amount of security guards each of the hotel seemed to want to have - and the warnings from the front desks. As such I simply decided that the extra few miles were well worth it (note: I travel to San Gabriel valley many many times each year) and now as mentioned prefer Pasadena.

But if you want closer, choose one of the Huntington Drive Arcadia places to stay as second to Pasadean, its the best place to stay in that valley.

Skip and I mean avoid at all costs the Hilton in San Gabriel. I had high hopes as some of my friends lived just half miile away; we stayed once and never again as there are so many better places to stay.

Edited: 4:21 pm, January 26, 2013
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

Hi Mini....I've been to that Hilton for an event, and am very familiar with the surrounding area (which I like a lot, and has much to offer a visitor). But as I live @ 10 minutes from the place, I've never stayed there or anyplace else in the vicinity. It's gotten a lot of good reviews lately; when did you stay there?

Getting in and out of their parking (and most of the others on Valley) does require attention...Valley is a busy street and there is a lot going on.

I don't understand about the excessive security at the Arcadia hotels--- it is a pretty sleepy, safe (and slightly boring) residential area. NOT a high crime area.

Edited: 4:46 pm, January 26, 2013
NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

I have stayed at the Radisson Whittier, Hilton San Gabriel, Sheraton Pasadena, Doubletree Commerce which should be surrounding Rose Hills. Do not stay in Downey nor Norwalk. If you are looking at the closest, Radisson. It's ok, Uptown as a previous poster says, I like Ricks Drive In, but it's a dive. Safe area and Telegraph going east is also safe. San Gabriel hotel seemed like a maze. I like Commerce the best, but there is nothing in the immediate area in terms of eating, except for the hotel and food court at the Citadel Outlet. What I learned, living and working in LA for a year, I did not use the freeways during commute and I'm sure you may have unveiled info and at the library or hotel room making a tree. Happy researching.

Edited: 9:33 pm, January 26, 2013
Sacramento
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

Wow!

I wasn't expecting so many replies. I have to study all of your info and come up with a plan. Seems like I might have to extend my stay to check out all of the recommendations. Shucks, I might have to take an extra day or two off of work.........

Thanks all and I will let you know what works out for me.

~TAP

Sacramento
Level Contributor
64 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

Thanks everyone and sorry for the delay in my update to our Whittier trip. Let me first sat that the Rose Hills Cemetary is amazing! We were amazed at how many people were there not just for services but to visit and tend to their loved ones plots. We spent quite a bit of time wandering the property and still didn't see all of it.

The staff was quite helpful in locating our family members' gravesites.

As far as hotel: we chose the Embassy Suites on Firestone Blvd in Downey. The accomodations were fine - what you would expect from the ES. The room was located on the street side and we could definitely hear the traffic noise, but nothing that kept us from sleeping.

We were within walking distance to Porto's Bakery but the line was so long outside that, sadly, we didn't have time to check it out.

We did get to the La Brea Tar Pits which was interesting and worth the quick stop. Additionally the weather was perfect to wander the grounds and see the silly rock on the museum grounds next door.

Traffic was not a problem, and so, the John Wayne Airport was not a bad choice.

Thanks again everyone and happy travels!

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

Glad it worked out for you. (And grrr to that *$#% rock. Yeah, I'm a killjoy...)

19. Re: Whittier, CA Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 10, 2014