We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

Hi all. My wife and i are planning to rent for a week on the coast in the OC area, probably July 13-20. I had been looking at Laguna, but it looks like there's not too much left on VBRO etc that appeals. Probably around the $5k mark (inc taxes) for the week. Will use as a base for Disney and San Diego but also to relax and let the boys run off steam. Boys like ball games, fun parks, cycling and will want to try bodyboarding and inline-skating. Ideally we'd be able to do a fair amount locally without driving. Good food for the evenings, but nothing you need to dress up for. Questions:

1. Is Newport Beach the best option for my needs? Any preferences where - Balboa peninsula?

2. I'm thinking a beach-side condo. I don't mind lots of noise during the day, but would prefer the kids don't have their sleep disturbed at night by noisy parties. Any thoughts on issues? I'm afraid I'm ignorant on whether this is a hangout for college kids etc.

3. If not Newport or Laguna, am I missing something obvious?

4. For that budget/spec, would we be better being part of a complex with a communal pool - any recommendations?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,918 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

With kids 11 and 8 I would look on Balboa Island. It will be quieter than the Peninsula and closer to great shopping and dining and you can do some of that (shopping and dining) on the island. Yes the Peninsula can be a college kid, summer break place to party for a week.

Balboa Island is a very safe, family friendly environment. Look at the Google Map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/lxLN0

There are good local agencies like Burr-White that can help you find a place if VRBO, FlipKey and Homeaway don't.

You also might private message GLMDesigns. She did BI last year and absolutely loved it. She has a good perspective on the pluses and minuses.

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/GLMDesigns

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,918 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

PS meant to say, you can do the beach things like body boarding, etc by crossing to the Peninsula via the BI Ferry that goes to the Balboa Pier area.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

I agree with Scott that the best option in Newport Beach will be Balboa Island. The Peninsula will have lots of noise at night with parties and in general lots of people around. The only problem is no real beach on the Island. You will need to ferry over to the Peninsula and take a short walk over to the ocean. The ferry is fun so this is not a bad option but you will not be right at the beach and will need to carry your beach gear. The Island is not that big but it would be best to be in the general area of the ferry if you will be going over a lot. Balboa Island has several restaurants you can walk to and there are more once you cross on the ferry (kids will like Ruby's at the end of the pier).

Pools are not that easy to come by close to the beach. If you want a condo type complex with a pool consider the Newport Coast Villas (it is a timeshare but you can book it like a hotel stay at www.marriott.com). It will miss the mark on several points but hit on others with their 2 bedroom condos. It is on a hill side over looking the ocean and there is a lovely beach at the bottom of the hill, Crystal Cove. There is a shuttle to take you places including the beach. You cannot walk to much but you can take the shuttle. There is also a restaurant at Crystal Cove and an outdoor small Ruby's overlooking the water that would be the easiest to reach and both are casual. During summer there is food on site as well.

Edited: 11:45 am, January 03, 2013
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

Also agree with the Balboa Peninsula area. If you can't find something you like, I would check out the Huntington Beach area with locations near the ocean and the Huntington Beach Pier.

With your budget, you probably could get a very nice room at either the Hyatt or Hilton Resort

www.surfcityusa.com

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

The Vacation Rentals Link on the left top side of this page reflects about 400 Newport Beach area rentals tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g659482-Revi… .

Since you are using the rental home as a base to visit Southern California,

you might also check rentals in Seal Beach, where you can get beautiful beachfront homes for less than the going rent in Newport Beach. Seal Beach has quick access to the freeways and is less than 30 minutes from Disneyland.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

Here is a VRBO example in Seal Beach with pool, a short walk to the beach.

http://www.vrbo.com/117273 . There are other similar properties available.

Seal Beach has a great Main Street commercial district with excellent restaurants and quaint shops.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

Agree, Balboa Island is a nice location for a 'summer vacation' and also that Burr-White is an excellent agency that has a location in the heart of the island. The drawback to B.I. has been mentioned in the lack of beaches and having to take the ferry (which IS, I agree, a lot of fun).

As far as Newport Coast Villas goes, it would be a good choice with 2 BR/2Bath units, 1240 square feet, ocean views, tennis courts, putting green, 'Kids Club' with daily activities, 5 swimming pools, 2 fitness centers, basketball court, etc. The shuttle will take and return you to/from the beach (at several different points) although I've walked it a number of times as have many 85 year olds so it's not that tough.

Last summer I checked out a house for someone here on TA at about 18th and Balboa Blvd. which was very nice and well within your price range. Nice patio (with a grill) 2 BR, right on the sand, good neighborhood (although you never know who your neighbors are until you get there, walk off the patio, across the 'bikepath' and you are on the beach, wide expanse with vollyball nets, lifeguards and close to the pier with bike rentals nearby. Good restaurants nearby, easy walking distance and the house was in good shape. Sorry, no pool, just the largest ocean in the world. Two story, BR's (upstairs) with covered, designated parking (important feature on the penninsula), easy location to head off for Disneyland and San Diego. Actually, I was impressed for the facility as well as the price (which IIRC,) at the time was about $2,000 for the week.

Whether you stay on the Island, the Penninsula or at Newport Coast Villas, I'll pass this tip along: if you don't want to cook or grill or go out for dinner every night there is a service in the area that will deliver directly to your house or villa from a very nice selection of restaurants in the Newport /Laguna area----many of them very good. It's called Restaurants on the Run and last time I looked at their site I think I counted about 75 restaurants that they deliver for. IIRC, they will deliver from multiple restaurants so that if people in your party want different types of food they can all get what they want. You can order by phone or computer; their website is www.rotr.com. Who knows, it might come in handy.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

If you want to look at Restaurants on the Run before you leave home, go to the site and put in the zip code for where you want the food delivered, i. e. Newport Coast is 92657 ( and, among amentities, it includes BBQ grills, a fully serviced kitchen and a Spa along with Air Conditioning and free parking). Take a look and see what you think. The only thing is that July is their busiest Month and they don't offer room service except for sandwiches and pizza in 'The Marketplace' or (additional choices) at the pool Bar and Grill. For other locations you can get the zip code from the rental listing.

BTW, plenty of good grocery stores in the area. At the top of the hill at NCV is a Pivilion 's Market---part of the Safeway chain so, if you have a Safeway card from your local area it should get you the local discounts. If you don't have a Safeway Card, just tell the checker that you are staying at NCV and they will usually give you the discounts because they do so much business with NCV clientel.

Be aware that, if you go grocery shopping in Laguna Beach, they now have a 'plastic bag ordinance' where they will not give out plastic bags and, if you don't have a bag of your own they will charge you $.10/paper bag.

July is a great time in Newport and the boys (as well as the parents, might like parasailing out of the Harbor) www.BalboaParasail.com Or, maybe a Day Trip to Catalina Island out of the Harbor. Newport has a historic harbor while neither Laguna nor Huntington Beach has any Harbor at all. Nor jet skis, parasailing, or boat rental. Take the Harbor Cruise, Dolphin Safari (out of Dana Point Harbor about 12 miles south) www.dolphinsafari.com. Visit the two piers in Newport (Huntington has one, Laguna has none). Just some ideas.

Edited: 8:00 pm, January 03, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

Thanks everyone for this feedback: I do really appreciate your time. ROTR sounds great I'm thinking that beachfront on the peninsula might be better as the boys would prefer instant access to the beach. Burr White (v helpful but of course in 'sell' mode) tell me that being right by the piers would be noisy, but between/away from them should be quiet - and that there are pretty strict curfews against evening beach parties. One of the places I'm looking at is beachfront between 16th and 17th street. I guess you never know who will be in neighbouring condos - not sure if most of them along that strip get rented in July. Thoughts welcome on the noise issue and on what Burr White said. Many thanks in anticipation.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newport Beach rental - July with boys 11 and 8?

I used to work with an agent from Burr-White (Christine something---very good). BW knows the area really well. Most people there will be at waters' edge and the beach is pretty wide in the area you're looking. Make sure you get something that has its' own parking spot in that area. Good grocery shopping at about 31st and Balboa ( Pavilions) and a good sports bar in the same location (with surprisingly good food (if the boys would like that www.RudysPubandGrill.com Rent some bikes and simply peddle up a few blocks. Also, a 'classic' movie theatere, 'The Lido'---sit in the balcony for a different experience than you get in most movie locations these days. Also, a good Italian restaurant www.IlFarro.com walkable from the area you're looking.

On the other side of Balboa Blvd. you've got the harbor and if the boys want to learn to paddleboard that's a good place to learn (very calm, little to no waves, little traffic----there's an entrance to the water to one side of the BayShores Peninsula Hotel at 18th and Balboa.

Hopefully, Bowenline will see this thread. and chime in with his ideas---the guy has a lot of knowledge of this area (may even be able to tell you about a particular house that you're looking at)