We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best for hiking in Green Mountains

Newcastle
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best for hiking in Green Mountains

We are travelling from Jackson in the White Mountains and want to visit Green Mountains. We will have four days before returning to Boston. What would be your suggestion for a place to base ourselves for an activity based visit. I am conscious that I need to be close enough to Boston for the drive not to be to much of a pain. The hiking we are looking to do will be fairly relaxed, probably 4 hrs max. We hope to book a condo/apartment, any suggestions? Our trip is planned for middle to end of August. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is our first visit. I have been checking the forum and Woodstock is mentioned as is Stowe...but trust your advice..

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best for hiking in Green Mountains

Take a look at the Manchester / Stratton area. There are some really great hiking trails in the area, short but with a great pay off. My personal favorites are Stratton Pond/Fire tower, Lye Brook Falls and Prospect walk. Besides these there is a nice hike on Bromley Mountain with views back to Stratton Mountain, but also on Bromley you'll find the Bromley Adventure Park, with an alpine slide and zip lines http://summer.bromley.com/attractions Another wonderful summer thing to do in the area, is swim in Grout Pond [there is also a short hike around the pond]. Check out Hildene in Manchester, which was the home of Robert Lincoln, and has wonderful gardens and walking paths.

The area offers lots of eating choices and shopping. You shouldn't have a problem finding rentals as the area is a ski town and August isn't the busy season.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best for hiking in Green Mountains

And it is an easy ride to. Boston. Hope you doing some hikes in Jackson area also.

Edited: 10:50 am, October 30, 2010
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best for hiking in Green Mountains

Stowe is our favorite getaway place. There are dozens of hikes of all levels. My fav is to drive up the toll road and then hike a variety of the stunning trails on the west side. Awesome views of the lake and Adirondack mtns. A couple of other excellent 4 hours hikes are nearby Mt. Hunger, Stowe Pinnacle, or a cool loop of the (strenuous) Hell Brook trail up to the Long Trail down.

The Golden Eagle is our favorite place to stay. Not fancy, but nice rooms (some with fireplaces or hot tubs), great large grounds w/ walking trails, and 2 nice pools for relaxing.

4. Re: Best for hiking in Green Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, April 29, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Green Mountains