We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May in White Mountains

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
May in White Mountains

We are staying in Lincoln the 2nd week in May 2014 and were wondering about:

1 Weather, and how hiking conditions are during that time at mostly lower elevations

2 Black flies and mosquitoes/ how to combat if that is a bad time of season for them

We are planning to hike to many of the waterfalls in the area. Thanks for any info.

Gangins

A South Carolinian

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,089 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May in White Mountains

I usually try to get to my White Mtn home in early May. My goal is to be there after the mud season and before the Black flies. It's a crap shoot. Last year I missed the mud, but the flies were plentiful. Just pick your dates and hope.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May in White Mountains

Black fly season is a crap shoot, as redrox said. Rule of thumb is roughly Mother's Day to Father's Day. I recommend Deep Woods Off, and be sure to wear a hat. They love to get into your hair. Long sleeves and long pants are preferred. The other repellent that often works is Avon Skin So Soft, somewhat diluted.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May in White Mountains

Thanks! Had a suspicion it would be hard to predict. Will enjoy just being there.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May in White Mountains

Thanks for the repellent info....thinking we might p/u a head net also if they are really bad.

Jackson, New...
Level Contributor
413 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May in White Mountains

Our rule is that you need three days above 90 degrees to kill the black flies off. So, you will have them in May, so just use the Deet and hike anyway. One hint, Black Flies "swarm" so if you get into a bunch of them just keep moving. You will out run them and then have some bug free hiking till the next encounter.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May in White Mountains

Thanks for the advice. The weather was cooperative and gave us a great week in the White Mountains. We only ran into a few minor muddy sections on the trails we took and no black flies.....but we were prepared thanks to all who gave advice.

We plan to return as we are now hooked on the many trails and waterfalls in the area. We visited 2-3 waterfalls every day and wished we had been able to do more! THANKS!

7. Re: May in White Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 03, 2015