We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
643 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

I have posted before that we will only have two nights and one full day in the area. I have taken all the advice I have been given and come up with a plan that I still think is a little over ambitious! I could use some advice helping me to prioritize since there is no way to do all this (especially now that my 74 year old active mom is coming along). I have us:

1.) Leaving our hotel in North Conway in the morning.

2.) Cathedral Ledge

3.) Drive up 16 for a view of Mount Washington and turn back around to get on 302.

4.)Crawford Notch for Arethusa Falls (hike one hour each way?)

5.) Franconia Notch for the Flume, Pool, and maybe Artist's Bluff .

6.) Sabbaday Falls (this is the one I feel my mom should definitely be able to handle).

7.) If time, Albany Covered Bridge (just because I want to see one).

8.) Back to the hotel.

Breakfast is at our hotel. No plans for lunch as of yet.... Any guess where we might be near lunch time and where some food might be available? Picnic fare or fast food is fine. We will sit down for dinner at night if we can still stay awake. :-)

Riverwalk Covered Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Blair Bridge
Mechanic Street Covered Bridge
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

Very doable.

1.) Leaving our hotel in North Conway in the morning.

2.) Cathedral Ledge

-- Must do, Donation box at gate. 5-10min from N.Conway, can be done in as little as 30 minutes or a lot longer if you linger. Open early, so the earlier you start the better,

3.) Drive up 16 for a view of Mount Washington and turn back around to get on 302.

-- assuming you are driving up to the Mt. Wash Auto Road or thereabouts. Good views of Tuckerman's Ravine. Probably 15-20 min from Cathedral Ledge. Views? 10-15min

4.)Crawford Notch for Arethusa Falls (hike one hour each way?)

-- Mt Wash to Franconia Notch thru Crawford Notch is appx 45 min depending on number of stops (not including Arathusa Falls). Never hiked Arathusa or Sabbaday Falls so can't comment on either. Should be lunch time by the time you finish with the falls. Resturants between there and Franconia Notch, maybe Mt Wash Hotel? Plenty of resturants nearer Franconia Notch.

5.) Franconia Notch for the Flume, Pool, and maybe Artist's Bluff .

-- Must do! Flume and the Pool are at the same venue. Part of a loop hike, guessing appx 1.5 miles, maybe as little as an hour, probably longer. Not familiar with Artist's Bluff. You might also consider a stop at The Basin, which is right up the road and should take appx .5 hrs or longer of you linger.

6.) Sabbaday Falls \

-- driving the Kanc is a must!!! Sabbaday Falls is on the eastern side of the mtns. Driving the Kanc, from Lincoln to Conway can take as little as 1hr or most of the day depending on how many stops you make and trails you hike. Good thing is that there are no hours!

7.) If time, Albany Covered Bridge (just because I want to see one).

-- there will be time. Driving the Kancc, you will drive right past it, in fact, if you choose to take the scenic route (Passaconaway & Westside Rds back to Conway/N Conway), you will drive over the bridge. Good for a 5min look see or a 15 to 30min stroll.

Kevin

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

Mom will not make arathusa falls hike.

Rt16 is fine if taking ride to summit otherwise you could get your great view from MT Washington hotel.

There is covered bridge at Jackson which should be visited ( town and bridge).

Also Glen Ellis falls is easy to visit just off Rt16 near Pinkham notch.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
643 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

Kevin and Neslaw,

I can't thank you enough for your help! I have tweaked my plans again taking into consideration that Arethusa Falls would be too difficult for my mom. Here is what it is looking like now:

1.) breakfast at hotel in North Conway

2.) cathedral ledge

3.) jackson falls ( stopping at J-Town Deli for picnic supplies to eat later)

4.) Glen Ellis Falls

5.)White Mountain Viewing Area near Glen View Cafe (viewing station and picnic area...will eat lunch here)

6.) Driving through Bartlett making our way to Franconia Notch for Flume, Basin, etc.

7.) Sabbaday Falls

8.) Albany Covered Bridge

9.) Back to the hotel

Thoughts? I am especially interested in where to use caution with my mom. She did fall and break her ankle last year while walking in a field. It took more than a year for her therapy and recovery.

Also, if we are running out of daylight we will skip #7 and #8 as we should have already viewed plenty of falls and a covered bridge in Jackson!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

nhstateparks.org/explore/state-parks/crawfor…

Located on route 302, near Crawford Notch is the state park at the site of the Willey Slide. A great spot for picnics, and there are walking trails over bridges around the lakes. One of our favorite spots to enjoy the scenery of the White Mountains without a hike. My photo is at the picnic site, looking at the lake where we feed the ducks. Check it out! Mom will love it. If the gift shop is still open, they make great muffins and coffee for a quick snack.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
643 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

KC in Nova Scotia...I am looking at my map of Crawford Notch State Park. I am looking at Willey House Station, Mt. Willey Range Trail, Willey House Historic Site,and the Willey Brook. I am not seeing the Willey Slide. Is it near any of the places I mentioned?

I would highly doubt any gift shop would be open next week as every state park I have called seems to have shut down all their operations as of a couple days ago. Still, I like the idea that we would have a lot of things all in one place with easy terrain for my mom. I will definitely consider Willey Slide if you can help me pinpoint it's location!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

Glen Ellis is a short walk, couple of hundred yards on rocks and tree crafted stairs (i.e. it is not flat). Even though short, may still be a problem with Mom. Don't know her well enough to say. another option in the Cathedral Ledge are is Diana's Baths which is a very easy walk in the woods to some cascading rapids/falls and is very pretty. Lots of swimming in the summer there.

Along 302, you do want to stop in the Mt Wash Hotel. Very historic and great views of Bretton Woods and MW as you will watch the cog rail chugging up or down the mountain.

You should just take your time at all these places and not worry about what you can't do.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

It's been years since I thought about it, but I believe the "Willey Slide" refers to an avalanche that destroyed the Willey House (see Willey House Historic Site on your map). I think KC was refering more broadly to the state park, which encompasses that site. I'm open to correction. In any case, you don't need to worry much bout being in any precise spot--you're going to be surrounded by mountain scenery, and you can basically choose anywhere you want to stop.

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
643 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

neslaw...when you say stop at the Mount Washington Hotel, what do you mean? Do you mean stop and have a meal there? Is it the kind of hotel we will feel comfortable walking into when we have been hiking? Thank you!

BTW, I do feel my mom would be ok with the steps you described at Ellis Falls!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

Yes, it is a historic structures and gets many tourists. read up about it. Get a drink from the bar, wander around, look at the pictures of the presidents who have visited.

Dinner is great but expensive and jackets are required.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I will be there next week. Could use some last minute help!

The Willey Slide www.hinewhampshire.com/the-Willey-Slide/ is located near the spots you mentioned. As you can tell by the tragic story, the Slide refers to the event and its location. The gift shot/museum are on one side of the road and the lake is across the road, on the other side of the route 302. Even if the gift shop is closed, you can certainly pull off, park at the picnic site and enjoy the view. it is so peaceful there. There are walks, trails for easy walking. We stop every time we are in the area. This past summer, there were families enjoying the picnic tables, kids feeding the ducks, folks taking lots of photos and just being glad to be there. I imagine it must be stunning in the fall.

Here is a little more on the area: https:/…willey-house