We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip to Savannah

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip to Savannah

Starting this road trip in Williamsburg, VA in May. We have a week to explore the coast through the Carolinas. Thinking about the Outer Banks, but wondering if it's the best use of our time since we can see lots of beach scenery down the coast. Would love to know about the best route for scenery and history. Will be staying overnight in Charleston and Savannah, but wonder where else to lodge along the way. Must see locations? Don't bother locations? Love gardens, small towns, quaint hole in the wall eateries, historical info. Never been to this part of the country before and unlikely I will ever be back. Want to soak it up! Thanks

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip to Savannah

Hi Rudas,

I would consider staying a night in Beaufort, which is a small historic community halfway between Charleston and Savannah and fits your love of small towns and good food. Be sure to check out Hunting Island State Park as well. Below is some info:

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g54135-Beaufort_S…

Other places on the route you might want to check out are Wilmington, NC (spend a night there), Brookgreen Gardens just south of Myrtle Beach, and Georgetown, a small historic community similar to Beaufort. I would strongly advise staying an additional night or two in Charleston if you can, as there is so much to see.

One thing you should know about driving along the east coast is that you will not be driving along the coast itself, say like the PCH in California. Highway 17 runs parallel to, but not along the Atlantic itself.

Edited: 12:33 pm, January 04, 2012
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip to Savannah

Wilmington, NC, is surprisingly pleasant, and a nice day trip from there to Charleston. On the way south, go thru the colonial city of Georgetown, visit the Rice Museum; or McClellanville, a Victorian fishing village with a nice little historical museum. Lunch either of those places, or at Seewee Cafe, in the middle of nowhere at Awendaw SC.

Visit Hopsewee Plantation, Bellefield Plantation (Baruch Foundation), or Hampton Plantation State Park. Skip Boone Hall Plantation.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip to Savannah

I would spend at least 3 days in Charleston and visit Foley Beach and at leasst 2 days in Savannah and visit Tybee Beach. Charleston and Savannah are two of our greatest cities. You will enjoy your trip and return one day. Good luck and have a great trip.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip to Savannah

Wonderful! Thanks for all the advice. I think I will stay in Wilmington for sure and visit all these great places. If I stay in Charleston and Savannah 2 nights each, I will have 1 more night. No one has given advice on the trip out to the Outer Banks. What do you think? Is one night out there time time well spent? Or perhaps I should focus on an historic location? I LOVE the beach, but of course coming from CA, I've seen lots of them....just can't decide.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip to Savannah

You shouldn't hit the Outer Banks unless you're planning to stay there for a long weekend or a week. They're a good destination, but not conducive for road trips, IMO.

With your extra night, I would tack it on to Charleston or do the night in Beaufort as I suggested. There's simply more to do in Charleston than Savannah.

Edited: 8:08 am, January 05, 2012
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip to Savannah

OK, thanks...very helpful. I appreciate your time. If you ever come to California, I can return the favor with lots of details :)

7. Re: Road Trip to Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, January 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Coastal South Carolina