We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a house or stay in hotel?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a house or stay in hotel?

Attending a conference at the JW Marriott. Would you recommend renting a house or staying there. The Marriott looks lovely, but then so do the homes. This is a work event, so it is a matter of booking 3 rooms or renting a house large enough to accommodate all of us. Looking at the pros and cons of both. One plus being, the house would be less expensive to rent (significantly) then staying at the hotel.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,702 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

How many days will you be there?

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

How well do you like your co-workers? :-)

Seriously, a house (even a big one) seems a lot more intimate - sharing a kitchen, maybe sharing bathrooms, etc. Your working relationship might dictate how well that works out. Sometimes it's nice to have a hotel floor or six between you and JimBob from Accounting.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

A Hotel, even an Extended Stay/Apartment Hotel offers maid service and an on-site maintenance department. Sometimes they come with a free breakfast and other amenities.

Renting a house also usually means you are dealing with a private individual, who wants a deposit, and sometimes there are issues in getting the money back.

But then, if it is a good deal of savings, it might be worth it, only you and your group can decide that.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

And it does depend upon how long you are going to be there. A rental for less than a week, if such a thing exists in Palm Springs, often turns out not to be such a bargain once the cleaning deposit and other incidentals are paid.

We very often choose rentals over hotels when we are traveling, but not for less than a week and usually only with family members. or very close friends. (We are used to each other's foibles :~)

Edited: 7:43 pm, February 04, 2013
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

lol - I got a good chuckle out of some answers. We will be there a week, and it is not my co-workers, but my significant other's. So I will be with the wives. Not a close relationship but I have met them. Fortunately, we will all have our own bedrooms and each has an en-suite bathroom, which was a priority for me when choosing a home. I guess I was thinking it would be nice to be able to go to the grocery store, and stock up on some breakfast items, and wine and cocktails, so we aren't paying over the top for these things. Even with the cleaning deposits, heat bill for the pool, it still ended up being about 1/2 price of the hotel, for the length of stay x 3 rooms.

The hotel looks fabulous, but I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of getting up in the morning sans makeup for breakfast, trucking 3 miles to a pool and paying over the top for dining and drinks, or be in the house, everything at the fingertips, just hoping we all can get along well, and I don't feel to incredibly self conscious of my counterparts being much thinner than me in a swimsuit by our pool - lol!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

Sounds to me like you have a good setup. I am with you on the pleasures of not getting dressed for breakfast having a private bathroom.....and if you have your own pool, that, I think, would put me over the top. Good luck.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,478 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

When we stay a week in the desert at Easter and Thanksgiving, we rent a condo/house/villa. Clean out fees can be high for the size of the home, but seems like you are aware of it and pool costs .

When we stay for 3-4 day weekends, we like hotels. We don't go out much for breakfast anyway, so some coffee/juice, fruit and yogurt in the room or home works for us. We go out for dinner no matter what, as there are so many great restaurants in the desert. Yes, you can save on snacks around the pool during the day with your own place.

Sounds like you would rather stay in a home, but you can always visit the JW and have drinks and dinner. Fun to take the electric boat from the lobby through the lagoon to the different restaurants.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

well, when travelling with family for friends, i would gp for the house without a second thought.

however, living in close quarters with people you have to work with is a risk i don't know if i'd take it. at least if you have a hotel room, you can excuse yourself and get away from them. hard to "escape" in a house. could be fabulous but, someone could be really irritating...don't clean up after themselves in the kitchen, loud out at the pool late at night, maybe "they" have loud sex...any number of "personal" things that could grate on someone's nerves and "you" won't forget when you have to return to the workplace. just risky in my opinion.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

Thank you all for your responses, you have brought up very valid points. I guess we are opting for the house. I'm really not much of a group traveler, so this will be a first for me, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. There is a really nice master bedroom and the other two are nice, so I guess it will be a flip of a coin as to who gets what. I hope we are not "joined at the hip" and everyone can do their own thing, and maybe pick a night or two to cook dinner at the house. I personally don't want to do every dinner, night out together. This is gonna be interesting . . .

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a house or stay in hotel?

BTW you can ask the rental company for additional maid service during your stay!