We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please--and, hiking alone ok?

Oregon
Level Contributor
615 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please--and, hiking alone ok?

Please give me some feedback on this possible accomodation itinerary in the Berkshires. I want to be able to explore the towns, see museums, galleries, eat, go to theatre/music, do some hiking, find yoga classes and/or spa. This would be for a July trip.

Day 1-Great Barrington (arriving around 5 p.m. driving from New Milford, CT)

Day 2--Stockbridge

Day 3--Lenox

Day 4--Lenox

Day 5--Lenox

Day 6--Lenox

Day 7--Williamstown

Day 8--Drive back to Pittsfield; train in p.m.

Also, what about hiking in the area? Is it safe for a woman alone? Areas recommended? Thank you for any advice!

Day 6--Williamstown

Day 7--Drive back to Pittsfield; train to Albany in p.m.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary help please--and, hiking alone ok?

I hike often and usually alone, though I am male. I have never felt any concern about hiking alone in New England. We don't have cougars, wolves, or grizzly bears. We don't even have really deadly snakes. As others have said, assaults on New England trails are nearly unheard of. Another factor is that, unlike in the wildernesses of the Pacific Northwest, most trails here are fairly well traveled, especially on nice days during the warmer months. If you are on a trail that offers views, there will be others on that trail. Usually not enough other people that there are other hikers around you the whole time you're hiking, but enough other people that if you stayed on the trail and you were injured and it wasn't almost dusk, another hiker would be almost sure to come along within an hour or so. So, as long as you stay on trails (but not the most remote or obscure trails) and aim to finish your hiking by a couple hours before sunset, someone is almost certain to find you in the unlikely event of injury and call for help when their cell phone has a signal. Obviously, if you are hiking alone, do stick to the trail, watch your footing, and avoid spots where you might slip or fall.

Edited: 3:08 pm, April 30, 2012
Oregon
Level Contributor
615 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary help please--and, hiking alone ok?

Thank you for your perspective--I appreciate you taking the time, and this is helpful.

13. Re: Itinerary help please--and, hiking alone ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, June 19, 2013