We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early April in the Berkshires?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Early April in the Berkshires?

I'm a teacher, and our spring break is in early April. Our family of 4 with 2 young children would like to get away for just 3 nights or so, so we're trying to decide on a location within a 6 hour drive from us (we're from Long Island).

I realize the weather may not be ideal, but is there anything to do this time of year in the Berkshires? From my research, a lot of other locations we were considering are pretty much shut down until May, including restaurants, so this is becoming more difficult than I anticipated.

We like to spend most of our time outdoors- hiking, sightseeing etc.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Early April in the Berkshires?

The towns in the Berkshires are "real" towns, so there will be restaurants and other services available, but obviously not at the level of "high tourist" season. If you're flexible and your goal is hiking and nature-oriented, you should okay. What "sightseeing" were you planning? That could be an issue?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early April in the Berkshires?

The Hancock Shaker village is open year-round & usually has vacation week programming for kids

http://www.hancockshakervillage.org/

The Norman Rockwell Museum is also open:

http://www.nrm.org/

Last time we were there we went bowling in Great Barrington -not sure how old your kids are - but we had a good time.

Here's a link for more family activities:

theberkshires24-7.com/berkshire-county-fun-a…

Level Contributor
2 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early April in the Berkshires?

Near to the Berkshires in Deerfield, MA, you'll find the Yankee Candle flagship store. It's well worth the trip. Just a few miles down the road is Magic Wings, a butterfly conservatory. Both destinations are captivating to all ages...and open year round.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,507 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early April in the Berkshires?

I used to spend a lot of time in the Berkshires. Early April is not ideal. I would think that you might prefer something more springlike at that time of year. You may want to head south instead. What about Amish Country?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early April in the Berkshires?

If the OP wanted Amish Country, I am sure she would have posted there.

Lenox, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
363 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early April in the Berkshires?

Plenty of restaurants, galleries, hiking, some shows, museums, biking; everything from the Ashuwillticook biking rail trail which is well over 20 miles round trip on paved flat ground through beautiful scenery or you can go as hard as you want mountain biking.

The almost complete lack of snow should make "mud season" much less muddy.

It really depends on what you enjoy. Please give us a little more info regarding what you are looking for. I think you can easily fill 3 days.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early April in the Berkshires?

Suggest to explore Great Barrington. Lots of restaurants, shops and hiking places with many relaxing B&Bs.

8. Re: Early April in the Berkshires?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, May 05, 2013