We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

My hubby, 2 children (16 & 6) & I are headed to this area in June for a much-anticipated vacation. We'll be staying at a resort in Lee, but want to see as much as possible in our 1 week stay.

Will fly into DC, rent a car & drive up from there - any "must-see" spots along the way? What about places within driving from the Berkshires? We're Southerners, where we have to drive to get anywhere, so a 2-3 hour drive is not an issue at all. I know we want to visit Boston & other cities, mountainouns/hills, somewhere coastal, a few museums.... looking for informative & fun ideas to entertain the kiddos & us parents without breaking the bank. We enjoy the outside - probably more viewing (Oooohing & Ahhhhing) than strenuous activities..... & new experiences, I suppose, that will entertain us all to a certain extent.

Our teenager will also be having her16th birthday while on this trip, so trying to find something fun/special for us to do one day. Maybe a spa?

Help?!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

The biggest attraction between DC and Massachusetts used to be IKEA in Elizabeth, NJ, which used to be the nearest IKEA to the Boston area, but since we finally got one here there isn't much reason to go to New Jersey.

A lot of people seem to like New York City, but I've been there, and don't recommend it. Not one bit.

Most people go to resorts to veg-out and not to use as a base for further touring but certainly you can reach any place in New England in a day (and back) if you want to.

Lee is near Lenox which is the summer home of the Boston Symphony and is a really big deal.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

Jamibc

Flying into DC? not sure why. Forget about all those must see spots, there is not time to see DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, Gettysburg, Philadelphia, Princeton, NYC, etc on your way to your vacation. I am assuming you are staying at a timeshare? You can head North/South along rt 7 from bash bish falls - highest waterfall in Ma and an easy hike to Williamstown and into Vt (Bennington, Arlington, Manchester, etc)

You can head east to Boston about 2 hours

There are a ton of websites which describe the museums, other cultural activities, scenic venues. You really don't have that much time since driving is slow off the interstates and you have 2 days of driving. So until you limit your choices, it really is not possible to be more specific.

Spa- not sure if Canyon Ranch is a day spa but it is the THE spa in NE and probably will break the bank.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

Some places to consider visiting while in Lee that kids might like - The Norman Rockwell Museum http://www.nrm.org/ Hancock Shaker Village

http://www.hancockshakervillage.org/

Jiminy Peak - ski resort that has a summer adventure park www.jiminypeak.com/accounts/69/homepage/ You could drive to Deerfield to the Yankee Candle Shop and tour historic Deerfield

http://www.historic-deerfield.org/

www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/ycbvp/retail.jsp

or Northampton & Amherst - beautiful college towns with great shopping and restaurants - nice day spas in this area as well

There is a Six Flags in Agawam, MA (about an hour drive from Lee) and the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield (also about an hour)

Right next door to Lee is Lenox which also has a beautiful downtown, shops, restaurants, and day spas. If you can, try to go to a concert at Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra - the grounds are beautiful - a wonderful place for a picnic. Have fun!

Edited: 10:34 pm, May 12, 2010
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

Thanks y'all!

A bit worried now..... hubby suggested the flying into DC as it was several hundred dollars cheaper & it's supposed to be less than 6 hours to drive - is it actually longer?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

It really depends on whether or not you hit traffic around the New York City area. If you don't, with a couple stops along the way, expect it to take around 8 hours from DC to Lee.

Something fun and special for your daughter's 16th? How about a zipline tour? It's an hour and 20 minutes away in the Berkshire town of Charlemont, but it's nice scenery along the way.

http://www.berkshireeast.com/zipline

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

Flying to DC to get to New England is like flying to New Orleans to get to Little Rock, which sounds personally reasonable to me. :-)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

I guess the first mistake was listening to your husband. Which DC airport as BWI is about 90 minutes closer than Dulles. Traffic is definitely an issue at various points north depending on what time you will be driving.

You really have only 5 days of vacation time (car time with family is the antithesis of a vacation) so I suggest you try to be bit more reasonable with your planning so you actually get to enjoy yourselves. Go to this website which has all the stuff to do in the area.

berkshires.org/Do/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

Where were you looking to fly into?

I would try: Boston; Hartford, CT; and Providence, RI

You could also try: Manchester, NH and Albany, NY

Sometimes saving a few hours is worth the price difference if you can do it.

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

Your closest airports will be: BDL (Hartford, CT), ALB (Albany, NY) and SWF (Newburg, NY). Other airports that are a much longer drive, but would give better prices and be closer than DC would be BOS (Boston), JFK (NYC), and EWR (Newark, NJ)

I was also going to suggest the zipline! Zoar Outdoor has a number of activities that would be fun for the family. http://www.zoaroutdoor.com/

You already got a number of great ideas!

The Salmon Run restaurant on Main St in Lee is one place you might want to check out to eat in Lee. Arizona Pizza (full menu) on Park St is also pretty good!

Enjoy your trip!

Westernmass

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Lee, but wanting to see a bit of NE this summer?

Wow - thanks for all the great tips!

Unfortunately, my darling tight-wad husband has already booked the flights into DC & they can't be switched.... not sure which airport right now. We're going to head back to DC a day b4 the flight & see a bit of the Smithsonian, do a few drive-by pictures, etc. So, we'll just make the best of that situation.

As of now, we're planning on a day trip to Boston & we'd love the girls to see the ocean. Don't want to fool w/ the ferries & fees involved w/ Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard, so does that pretty much leave Cape Cod? Or is there another beachy area within driving from our resort in S Lee? & yes: we know it'll probably still be cold to swim, but it'll be fascinating nonetheless.... our girls have only seen the Destin, FL & Hilton Head beaches (& don't remember these very much), so this will be a treat.

LOVE the zipline idea & will check into that! Still checking the various museums & easy nearby drives... have 1/2 of our local library at my house, it seems **tee-hee**