We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Torri del Benaco

Cheshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Torri del Benaco

We are thinking of going to Torri del Benaco at the beginning of May 2012. Could some one please tell us what the weather is like at this time of year. Also we cannot decide between half board or b/b. Are the restaurants expensive. Also we are looking to do excursions e.g., Venice, Florence and Lake Garda tour. Is it really worth booking a Lake tour or is it just as easy to book the ferries. Also could anyone tell me how far it is to walk or cycle to Garda and Bardalino. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Garda
Garda
Province of Verona, Italy
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

Hi, the weather in May is unpredictable, it could be warm and sunny or cool and cloudy/wet. This site will give you average temperatures etc. but there are no guarantees:

lake-garda-revealed.com/lake-garda-weather.h…

In my experience restaurants are no more expensive that at home in the UK. The menus/prices are listed outside, so you can look around at a few places before deciding where to eat.

The Lake Garda tour is a good idea if you are staying in Torri, mainly because the boat service to other places from Torri is very limited. In fact in May I think there is only one boat in the morning travelling to Malcesine, Limone and Riva, and one returning in the evening.

There's a car ferry that takes foot passengers, and it crosses the lake from Torri to Toscolano/Maderno giving you access to the other side of the lake, and there is a bus service linking Torri with all the towns on the east side of the lake, from Riva at the north to Peschiera at the south and then on to Verona.

To be honest I think Florence is a VERY long day trip from Lake Garda, with too much time spent travelling there and back compared with the time you actually spend in the city itself. Venice can be done by public transport, although an organised excursion is more convenient and you will have the services of a tour guide to show you around.

To walk from Torri to Garda will take about two hours depending on the route. There are a couple of routes I know of - one is to stay relatively close to the lakeside towards Punta san Vigilio then to walk along the "beach" to Garda. The other way is through the hillside above the lake: walk up to Albisano then to Marciaga and down into Garda. From Garda to Bardolino is about a 45- minute walk.

http://www.torridelbenaco.co.uk/

Edited: 2:48 pm, June 06, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Malcesine
Malcesine
Verona
Verona
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Garda
Garda
Bardolino
Bardolino
Cheshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. We have decided that we will give Florence a miss. Could you tell me if there are tours orgainsed from the hotels etc., or would it be adviseable to book the tours with the tour operator. I know that the tour operators can be more expensive.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

Hi, I don't think there will be much difference in price whether booking through your hotel or with your tour operator. There are two excursions available for visiting Venice. One is the usual day trip, leaving at approximately 7.30am and returning around 7.00pm. The other trip is called "Venice by Night" and it leaves at about 11.30am and returns after midnight. I've heard several people say that they prefer the Venice by Night tour because it allows them to see Venice in the evening when most of the day-trippers have left. There isn't much difference in price between the two.

A day trip I would recommend from Lake Garda is the one to the Dolomites. The scenery is spectacular and the journey takes you through some typical Alpine villages.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,806 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

Hi TreborC,

Just back from Torri del Benaco and had a wonderful time there. It is a stunning location on the lake.

I have answered your specific questions below prefixed by ####

Also we cannot decide between half board or b/b.

#### That depends on how many of you are travelling. If there are only two of you consider B&B . If a family, then consider half board. Personally I only ever go for B&B as i like to get out and try different restaurants in the area.

Are the restaurants expensive.

#### We averaged €72 per dinner for two people which included 1 starter, 2 main courses, bottle of local wine and coperto x 2. We found eating out the same price in most cases as in Ireland but be aware that Ireland is an expensive country, so I guess you will find that expensive.

Also we are looking to do excursions e.g., Venice, Florence and Lake Garda tour. Is it really worth booking a Lake tour or is it just as easy to book the ferries.

#### There is a tour which will take you to some of the lake villages by both bus and ferry, but it is €48 per person and we decided that it was too much. Here is what we did: We cycled from Torri Del Benaco to Riva Del Garda, this took 3 hours - with a 30 minute stop at Malcesine, and a few more photo stops. Then we took the ferry back from Riva Del Garda to Torri Del Benaco (4 hours) - Cost €12 per person. This was a nice trip on the ferry, just to sit back and relax. The ferry stops at about 10 vilages on the way back.

Regarding excursions, did you consider Verona. It's only an hour on the bus to Verona from Torri Del Benaco and the one way ticket is only about €4. Excellent value and Verona is a gorgeous compact city with lots to see there and I would highly recommend a walking tour when you get there (90 minutes)

Also could anyone tell me how far it is to walk or cycle to Garda and Bardalino. Thanks

#### By bike from Torri del Benaco to Garda will take you 30 minutes leisurely and a further 30 minutes to Bardalino. Cycling there is a joy as there are few hills. The only thing that concerned me as i cycled northwards was the tunnels. While they are mostly short, they can be fairly dim and I was very sorry that I was not wearing a light coloured top !!!.

Come back to me if you have any further questions on T del B while it is fresh in my mind.

You will love it - a gorgeous part of the lake.

Edited: 3:53 am, June 25, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Malcesine
Malcesine
Verona
Verona
Garda
Garda
Cheshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful. Could you tell me did you go with a tour operator or did you make your own arrangements. I noted your comments abour eating our and I must admit that I find £72.00 rather expensive, but as you say Ireland is an expensive country. I wouldn't say that it is that expensive in the UK. Also which hotel did you stay in and would you recommend it. We are a middle aged (young) couple who now can take our holidays on own our (Bliss).

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,448 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

Hi, Bryno actually said 72 euros not pounds which isn't quite as bad. Last year we were paying 40-50 euros for two courses, bottle of wine and water. It depends how keen you are to eat in restaurants but half-board is definitely the best value and you could still eat out on one or two nights.

As everyone has said Torri del Benaco is a very pretty place but not quite as well served by ferries as other towns. If you like walking maybe Bardolino or Garda would be better as there is a lakeside path linking the two towns as well a path in the opposite direction going as far as Lazise and even on to Peschiera del Garda.

Edited: 10:00 am, June 25, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Bardolino
Bardolino
Garda
Garda
Lazise
Lazise
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,806 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

No,. we did not go with a tour operator, but we are considering for future trips to Italy. We found it expensive to 'go it alone', all the extras certainly add up and maybe a tour operator can shave off some of those costs. It's certainly under consideration.

As tepore said, we spent on average €72 (euro) per night for the following

1 starter (my wife only eats one course - she's a cheap date ;-))

2 mains

bottle sparkling water

Bottle local wine (averaged just under €20

Coperto x 2 included bread.

If there was Coperto, we generally did not leave a tip. I'm not sure if that is the correct protocol, but that's what we did in any case.

On one evening we splurged on a fabulous meal at Le Gemme di artemisia www.legemmediartemisia.it which is 5km from Torri del Benaco. This was a very expensive meal but so memorable that we did not care about the expense. It was possiblly the nicest Italian meal we ever had !! I did not include that one in my average calculation above. If you enjoy fine dining, I would thoroughly recommend it to you. If you prefer not to spend too much on eating out you need to avoid Le Gemme.

Our biggest mistake regards eating really (and we should have known, we have been there a few times) was that we also had a sit down meal during the day at lunch time, and this averaged about €40, which is expensive for lunch. On one day we had a stand up lunch in a very nice bar and this cost us €17. We were just as satisified with this meal and it was much better value.

On another day we picnic'ed (even included a disguised bottle of chilled Prosecco), but it was a tad hot sitting in the glaring sun and people were looking at us like we were hobos, so we resisted the temptation to picnic again !!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,806 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

Apologies, you also asked where we stayed. We stayed in Hotel Del Porto, which is a superb location in Torri, right on the waterfront, and only 3 mins walk to the ferry terminals and the same to the bus stop. We paid €640 euro for 4 nights B&B in one of their Junior suites which faced onto the lake but was stepped back a little from the promenade.

I couldn't fault it really. There were a range of ages staying there, and some with families. 30's and 40's seemed to be the predominant age group. (the children of course were a lot younger !!)

I've written a review on it but it has not yet been released by TA. I'll link it here when they do.

If that price seems reasonable to you I would recommend it.

Actually here is my review, it has just been released:

tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g659317-d1015…

Edited: 12:56 pm, June 25, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Hotel del Porto
Hotel del Porto
127 Reviews
Torri del Benaco, Italy
Cheshire
Level Contributor
190 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

Sorry my mistake re Euro. I think we will go half board and eat out once or twice (best of both worlds). Torri del Benaco is our first choice and we are actually thinking of going early May as it will be our 30 wedding anniversary.

Liorac-sur-Louyre...
Level Contributor
64 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: Torri del Benaco

We stayed in Torri in June 2012 and then went on to Venice for a couple of days;a day trip would have been inadeqaute. Best advice is to stay on the mainland at Mestre which is just the other end of the causeway. You can buy "hop on hop off" travel tickets for the buses, boat (Vaporetto) and trains from Mestre and then boats in Venice, from a bar opposite Mestre station. They are valid for the number of days of your choice and give you as much travel as you are likely to need. Transport from Venice to Mestre runs quite late at night so you are unlikely to have your evenings curtailed. If you want to visit the St. Marc's Basilica buy your entrance tickets on line well in advance for the date and time of your choice and avoid the 1½ hour wait which is not uncommon. We stayed at the Hotel Tritone opposite the station and found it ideal as well as good value. The breakfasts were excellent. If you have a pocket size GPS take it with you to Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Get answers to your questions about Torri del Benaco