We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time genealogy visit to Derazhnya area

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time genealogy visit to Derazhnya area

My grandparents were from a small Jewish village called Staro Zakrevsky Maidan between Vinnytsa & Derazhnya. Even though we know the village is no longer there, my brother and I wish to visit the area with our wives. Our thought was to fly to Kiev & visit that city for a few days. It was also recommended that we take a train to Kamianets-Podilskyi. From there, it was suggested to us that we could hire a car/driver/guide to take us for a day driving around the area where my grandparents lived. Can that be done in a day of driving from Kamianets-Podilskyi? What kind of cost should we estimate for our planning? How long is the train from Kiev to K-P and how frequently does it run and how much does it cost?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

3 replies to this topic
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time genealogy visit to Derazhnya area

Hi SparkOC! Welcome to Ukraine forum :)

All suggestions you were given sound very good to me, and easily doable.

There is a village called Stary Maidan (ukr. Старий майдан) in less than 20km from Derazhnya, that was Starozakrevski Maidan prior to 1938 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starozakrevsky_Maidan and http://tinyurl.com/6eqqypf I guess this is what you need.

Yes, it is definitely possible to drive there from KP and back in one day. It was only last week that we drove from Skala Podilska to Medzhybizh via Kamyanets and Sutkivtsi and back. Derazhnya is in about 17km from Medzhybizh (the latter is also an important Jewish Heritage site) and in 150km from KP, plus about 15km to Stary Maidan (I don’t have a map in front of me right now to say precisely how far it is from Derazhnya).

This gives about 2hrs drive one-way, because roads in Khmelnitska oblast are dreadful.

I’m not sure what exactly you mean by “What kind of cost should we estimate for our planning?” The usual travel costs, I guess: accommodation – transportation – food – entrance tickets to sights – souvenirs – miscellaneous. If I got you wrong, please, elaborate.

It takes 7h11m to get to KP from Kyiv by #177 express train and 9h35m by overnight sleeper #623.

According to UkrRailways, #623 in the period from 29/05 to 1/10/2011, from 25/12/2011 to 23/01/2012, and from 22/03 to 26/05/2012 runs daily, leaving Kyiv at 8.37pm and arriving to KP at 6.12am.

One kupe ticket for #623 costs about UAH 80-105 (ca USD 10-13.1) as of today (per passenger, one way).

#177 express has a trickier schedule:

in the period from 29/05 to 1/10/11, from 15/12/11 to 23/01/12, and from 22/03 to 28/05/12 it runs daily except Tue, leaving Kyiv at 4.49pm arriving to KP at 11.34pm.

in the period from 2/10 to 14/12/2011, and from 25/01 to 21/03/2012 it runs on Wed, Fri and Sun, leaving Kyiv at 4.43 and arriving to KP at 11.54pm.

One first-class seat for #177 costs about UAH 110 (ca USD 13.8) as of today (per passenger, one way).

Kindly note that CHANGES are possible in both the trains schedule and tickets pricing, so please, double-check this info closer to your visit!

You can find more information about train travel in Ukraine here tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294473-c131482/Ukrai…

Have a safe trip!

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time genealogy visit to Derazhnya area

Thank you, Cora--I have been reading the Ukraine Forum and see that you are quick to post valuable information!

My question about cost was regarding how much to pay a car/driver/guide for one day trip to Stary Maidan/Derazhnya from K-P. If you have a range of prices that you think it is reasonable to pay someone, that would be helpful.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time genealogy visit to Derazhnya area

Just checked the map and my guess was spot on: Stary Maidan is in 15km from Derazhnya :)

Sorry, it’s a bit hard for me to estimate, because I was driving each time and didn’t use taxis or hired drivers in KP.

Average taxi tariff in Ukraine for inter-urban drive is UAH 3-3.5/km, cheaper in the West. So if going by taxi, the return ride only (without waiting time) "could" cost you something around USD 130-140. But it’s hard to say how much the driver might ask for waiting, if he does. On the other hand, KP is famous for its cheap taxi and you hire a car for the full day, so you can get a good deal there!  

P.S. I spent about USD 40 on gas only during my trip to Medzhybizh [but I have a big car and my consumption was 9.6l/100km on terrible roads of Khmelnytchyna vs usual 7.8 on better highways].

Reply to: First time genealogy visit to Derazhnya area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted