We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbourtown - Great place to shop

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
273 posts
739 reviews
Save Topic
Harbourtown - Great place to shop

Shopping at Harbourtown is great. I can see why people can spend all day here! Not that I did with husband in tow. But still found plenty of bargains expecially in Giant Chemist and a few other shops.

15 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

Glad to hear you got some bargains, even with the exchange rate you would have got for your NZ dollars

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

One needs to be careful when shopping at Harbourtown. There are some bargains to had thats for sure but conversely some so called outlet shops are selling at full retail plus in some instances.

For Kiwis travelling to Harbourtown be cognisant of the exchange rate when buying your goods. In some instances especially regarding sports apparerrel the exchange rates makes the goods dearer than here in NZ.

That also applies to a lot of other Aussie retailers. When one adds 30% to the Aussie price because thats the current conversion factor is the deal really that good compared to home?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,392 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

Many place hav and NZprice on the tag plus an AU which means they sell in both places...

the NZ price is always way better than the conversion

today i was looking at ice breakers at $130 AUD..lol the same ice breaker was $99 NZD last November in Invers...

if you are goi g to shop know the price and the conversion rate plus the cc fee

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
273 posts
739 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

Yes, you are right you do have to watch conversion rate. I always check before buying, especially with the perfume. It is about $198 in shops here, about $145 duty free and I paid about $120 NZ for it, so a saving there. And I agree with a lot of the sporting and surf gear. Only the really cheap priced sales are cheaper than NZ.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

and duty free grog is almost always cheaper in NZ duty free.

We always find bargains at the Dressmart outlet shopping centre at Onehunga, with the conversion rate it makes it cheap shopping for aussies.

My kiwi mate raves about buying cheap jeans at Harbourtown, honestly i reckon he would get them cheaper at Dressmart which is near where he lives. :)

Edited: 7:19 pm, July 12, 2012
Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
273 posts
739 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

Yes we did notice buying alcohol is cheaper at NZ Duty Free. And its interesting that you find Dresssmart cheaper. We often visit there when in Auckland but don't find it very cheap. Sometimes there are bargains, but overall the clothing is dearer that most our shops in Rotorua. I guess it a case of "shopping" around anywhere to find the bargains!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

A fool and his money is soon parted.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

Now now Bean!

Strickes it may have been a 40% off sale in the centre but then again that is often the case at our DFO's as well.

My wife bought some cardigans and I bought some merinos from untouched world, they came down to about $nz 70 which was awesome, considering they are about$nz 190 each . There was another outdoor shop that I think has now closed where I bought a nice snowboard jacket from at a ridiculous price.

Incidentally I also like hallensteins when they have their sales. I bought a really nice jacket 1/2 price less 20% which came to $nz 50. Beautiful jacket great price.

Hallensteins are smart, they now ship to oz and free shipping, also i havent seen their gear in oz before, that may change eh.

We are always delighted when we get our credit card bill after each visit to NZ.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

My comment is not a direct criticsm at anyone just that if a bargain appears to good to be true it probably is. It is a reality that many Kiwis on holiday across the ditch fail to take into account exchange rates when making discretionary purchases. My other half is a case in point.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harbourtown - Great place to shop

Lol bean, I hope your other half is not reading your posts....

Reply to: Harbourtown - Great place to shop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Biggera Waters