We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Chiclana

Which Novo Sancti Petri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Chiclana

Hi

Anyone going to the Riu Chiclana this year ?

We are booked for the 31st May.We went two years on the trot when it first opened and it was very nice. We mainly went for the golf which was excellent and every year we look to go and this year Thomson have it back hopefully it will be popular so it stays. Its suits us as the girls can sunbathe and we play golf ...happy days 😄

Phil

uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Riu Chiclana

Not sure whether to book one week or two, as some reviews have said the food is gets boring.

Are there paellas regularly, and fish and sea food?

Hoping it will be quieter now the school holidays have finshed. Could this be so?

Whats' the weather going to be like in October.

Hoping to see Cadiz and Jerez. Is the easy by bus, or should we prebook a hire car before we go?

Corby, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Riu Chiclana

Hi

We went for 2 weeks but it only cost us £499 each which was a real bargain. My comprehensive review on the hotel is now on page 13 dated 25th May. We did not have a car when we went but we will next time. We visited Chiclana, Seville, Gibraltar but lots more to see.

The food like most hotels does get a bit boring. There was sea food and paella but not every day. Pork was on the menu every day.

We were told the best times to go by the manager is May, Sept and October and the weather can still be very warm.

We have booked for May again next year as this is such a lovely part of Spain.

Please read my review which covers most things but if you need to ask anything else please let me know.

I dont think you will regret going there.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Riu Chiclana

Although I have not stayed in the hotel, we always rent a villa I would recommend a car. It is so easy to gad about all over the place when you have a car and are not constricted to timetables and services.

In defense of pork, can I say that the pork in this area is delicious, the Spanish here are not big eaters of beef hence a lot of pork, chicken and seafood on most restaurant menus. I once commented to my husband that I wished I could cook pork the way the Spanish do and he cheekily replied "so do we all".

This area is lovely with so many places to visit, take a look at Cádiz, Jerez de la Frontera where you will find the Real Esquela www.realesquela.es and some of the famous sherry bodegas www.tiopepe.es The road system is very good and it is easy to explore the white villages inland if you have had enough of the coast.

I will be in Olvera in October which is roughly a two hour drive from Chiclana. I go every October and last year was the first time we had experienced any rain and that was the last three days of our holiday which was probably about the 25th. This year I am off between the 9th and 22nd.

Saludos. Lindsay

uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Riu Chiclana

Hi Lindsay,

Are you able to recommend any car hire companies that are local? We would be looking at around 3 days car hire and wonder whether we should book it before we travel.

We had 3 days in Seville about 10 years ago when we holidayed in Portugal about 20 years ago, so want to focus on Cadiz, Jerez and perhaps Conil. Thought it might be better to do Cadiz by bus as there are lots of comments about parking. How long would it take to get there by bus.

Anna

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Riu Chiclana

Hi Anna,

I usually pick up my car at the airport and book via the comparison website www.doyouspain.com I particularly like Sixt the German company and have had no issues with EuropCar or RecordGo although RecordGo gets a bit of stick on the forums. I would avoid Goldcar and Niza. If you are only wanting to hire a car for a few days I am sure the Receptionist at the Riu Chiclana will be able to help you with this. There are car hire companies in town, I am almost certain there is one opposite the large Intersport shop. If you are paying for transfers from the airport to Chiclana it may well be that you would be better off hiring a car for the whole holiday.

Where are you flying into? We usually fly into either Sevilla, Gibraltar or Málaga. Living just north of Glasgow, Málaga is the easiest one for us. It means a two and a half hour drive at the Spanish end, otherwise we have a drive to either Liverpool or Manchester then a slightly shorter drive at the Spanish end.

As regards parking in Cádiz, here is the TA information on parking in the old part of the city:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187432-c92815/Cadiz:…

I take the car into Cádiz and park at Las Canalejas (the third car park on the list). This is a good big subterranean car park opposite the docks. As you enter the city proper you are on a big wide boulevard (no island division up the middle), it is busy but not difficult. Keep yourself one lane in from the right and that keeps you correct for going around the city walls. Las Canalejas runs along the side of the docks. Believe me if it was difficult I would be on the bus!!!

Here is the current bus timetable (I hope):

siu.cmtbc.es/es/horarios_lineas_tabla.php…

I hope you have a wonderful holiday. My husband wants to go back to Chiclana for Christmas so we can see what it is like in the winter. Any more questions, just ask.

Saludos. Lindsay

uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Riu Chiclana

Hi Lindsay,

We fly out on the 4th October with Thomsons from Gatwick to Jerez, and the transfer to the hotel is included. It is a part we haven't visited yet. We've stayed in Ronda, Grazalema and Seville so really looking forward to seeing Cadiz and Jerez. Hope with weather will still be OK, but there should be plenty to do if not.

Is there anywhere we shouldn't miss?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Riu Chiclana

Hi Anna

This trip we are going to the Real Escuela, a friend went earlier in the year and said it was fantastic, so although she is a horsey person and I am not I am still looking forward to the day. We will probably visit the Tío Pepe bodega while we are in Jerez and have a nice meal somewhere.

I had a list of places to visit during July but unfortunately had a tummy bug (lost 10 pounds). One of the places I wanted to go to was Lighthouse near Cabo de Trafalgar (Cape Trafalgar) and Tómbolo de Trafalgar which is near Caños de Meca, 20 miles or 36 minutes’ drive from Chiclana. Close to the lighthouse there is the

archaeological site of a Roman temple to the god Juno with sacrificial altar and a fish-salting factory. There is also part of an 11th-century watchtower from the Hispano-Moorish settlement, dismantled in the 19th century to build today's lighthouse. Vejer de la Frontera is nearby and I am sure there will be plenty of choices for a nice tapas lunch.

When you have the car, a 20 minute journey takes you to Medina Sidonia which is a very pretty hilltown, I enjoyed a walk around there one afternoon. There are a few nice cafés/bars in the main plaza. The Nuns at the convent bake and sell lovely pastries, I particularly enjoyed the almond one which was left in the box for me.

Tarifa with its huge surfing waves is also worth a visit.

We use the cafés on Carraterra La Barrosa which is a nice walk from the Riu. In particular I like one which also has a panaderia/pasteleria inside. The baker makes lovely churros in the morning for dunking in chocolate. I think this café is a couple of doors along from the ferreteria. From here, if you have the legs for a longer walk you can walk to Sancti Petri which was originally a fishing village but is now home to water sports facilities.

Best go and make dinner or I will have one unhappy hubby!!!

Lindsay

Edited: 11:24 am, September 02, 2013
bedfordshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Riu Chiclana

Hi going to Riu hotel Chiclana really looking forward to seeing the area.

my husband loves his golf and was wondering the price for a game and if he can hire clubs ect rather than bring his also any info on getting to servile would be so welcome is there a train station local to hotel .

The town of Chilana do they run any excurtions from there rather pay local agents as we would like to see the area .

Any info would be gratefull thank you

Southampton
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Riu Chiclana

Hi

Last year they did us a good deal at La Estancia Golf from memory but they had just hollow tined the green they picked us and back to the hotel less that ten mins about 80 or 90 euros for a two ball with a buggy but the greens were not great...not sure in this year,..

The novo sancti petri course is really nice but exspensive in comparison they hire clubs there but not sure at La Estancia we took our clubs last year was only £25 with Thomson if pre booked..

Chclana is ok but not sure about excursions from there..

Seville is nice but my lasting memory was the heat...really really hot this was with a trip from the hotel with Thomsons..

Phil

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Riu Chiclana

Hi we spend the first half of July in Chiclana before my husband comes home to work and I head up into the hills to Olvera for the remainder of the month. I always have a car but can give you some information on local buses. Chiclana does not have a train station but there is a bus station and from here you can go to Cádiz, San Fernando, Sevilla, Medina Sidonia, etc. However, if you want to go further afield such as Sevilla then best to get the bus to San Fernando then the train into Sevilla Santa Justa. As I say, I have a car so I take the car to the outer edge of Sevilla's metro line then take the metro into the city centre.

Here are the links for the two local services nos. 8 and 11 which run between Chiclana Centro and Novo Sancti Petri.

http://www.novobus.es/lineas.php?nombre=L8

http://www.novobus.es/lineas.php?nombre=L11

During the summer season there is also a no. 14 which operates a late night service.

This last link will take you to a website from where you can get timetables for other destinations.

…sancti-petri.info/transportation/buses.aspx

For trains see www.renfe.com

Saludos. Lindsay

Get answers to your questions about Novo Sancti Petri