We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Kamari on foot...

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Getting around Kamari on foot...

Hi all - my boyfriend and I are off to Kamari tomorrow, very very excited!!!!!! We aren't planning on hiring a car / bike, as we are palnning on keeping it simple and relaxing and staying around Kamari, but we'll do bus trips to Oia / sunset / caladra of course!

We were wondering if everything in Kamari is a good walking distance and easy to find (sign posts?), like say the open air cinema, restaurants? We are staying at the Alexandra although not exactly sure where that is as it keeps moving on different maps!

Any help would be greatly recieved!!

Grakle

Edited: 6:54 am, July 02, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Kamari on foot...

The Alexandra is at the mountain end, Check google map and look for the kamari beach hotel (Or just look for the largest pool in the area). I think the Alexandra is just above it. Your reasonable central to everything. Its on a road that run parralel to the beach but I think there is a route to the beach that runs through the kamari beach hotel, if not dont worry, even walking round it will take under 5 mins. To wak from one end of Kamari to the other only takes about 20 mins but it feels a lot less as its quite a nice walk, plenty of bars and restraunts etc. You will probably feel like walking it nightly too as the portion size of the meals are very generous. You have one of the best bars at your end though, The hook bar, Also check out the Groove bar, and the Irish bar, if the heat gets too much the Irish bar, During the day they have a vapour spay all round the outside of the bar, youd be surprised how cool it feels, both the irish bar and Groove bar are left out of the hotel.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Kamari on foot...

I stayed at Alexandra several times and liked it a lot. The hotel is only a few metres away from the airport runway (ie. in the most northern part of Kamari, it is not at the mountain end). The pedestrian zone ends about 200 metres before reaching Alexandra. You have to continue along the beach or turn left and then turn right at the second crossing.

The owners are friendly and the hotel enjoys a large pool. Most of the rooms are renovated. Some of them are still rather outdated, especially the bathrooms. Avoid the rooms on the roof facing the sea. Every day I was woken up at 6 AM by the horrible noise of the planes landing just a few metres away from the hotel. The breakfasts are very basic.

It takes less than a minute to get to the beach. The beach in this part of Kamari is not the best. There's a huge slippery rock which makes the entry into the sea rather unpleasant.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Kamari on foot...

thanks thats really helpful, good to know we are in walking distance of everything!!

Grakle

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Kamari on foot...

My bad, I thought it was near "no name" Maybe there is a tavern called the Alexander near where I said. Its still not to far from everything though. And MarjanJerman know his stuff, I think he's been going there for year's. Where ever you are you will have a great time.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Kamari on foot...

Take the water ferry to Perissa, also goes to the red beach, worth the ride. Bars, Oxygen is very nice, towards the mountain as is the Ethnic, Arion Bay-nice friendly place-LOLs. The Love boat has karaokee a few nights, maybe two, a wk.

6. Re: Getting around Kamari on foot...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 04, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Kamari
Recent Conversations