We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fresh local seafood??

Which Kamari hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
fresh local seafood??

Pleeaaase! lol :)

We were in Kamari and I asked locals where to have fresh great seafood. The place we went wasn't very good, even though the locals said the proprietor was a fisherman. The fish was overcooked, dry and a great dissapointment.

WHERE can I get fresh, indingineous fish and seafood? For the most part, the restaurants we ate at which were (kinda) good - the calamari was frozen - Almiria. The food and service was good, but I'm dying to find a place that serves fish and seafood fresh and in season. Please!! Help!! We love Kamari, but since Santorini is a tiny island, there must be somewhere that has great local, seasonal food.

newcastle -upon-tyne
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: fresh local seafood??

go to Galinis up near Monolithos.i never have calamari in Kamari but theirs is superb. the food we had was wonderful. we are hoping to book it for our daughters wedding reception as she gets married there this year.also we were told by the people who run the Liverbird Cafe that there is a great Taverna up near the school we haven't eaten there but will try to this year.it is run by a local family and is very popular with the people of Kamari .

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fresh local seafood??

I think that pretty much all calamari is frozen, it should say so on the menu.

No idea about Kamari as I don't go there, but there are a couple of good fish restaurants in Perissa and Perivolos - the one in Perissa is at the mountain end of the resort, if you got the water taxi from Kamari, it should drop you off pretty much at their entrance.

In Perivolos, Ammos is a long established and well regarded fresh fish tavern.

I think there's also a good one over Vlychada way but I don't know the name.

Martin

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: fresh local seafood??

The commercial fishing season doesn't start until the end of September or beginning of October. So during much of the tourist season the tavernas are serving fish caught locally by the small day boats , or farmed fish , such as various types of bream.

Nothing wrong with greek farmed fish, has a good reputation and much of it is imported by UK super markets.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fresh local seafood??

The name of the Fish-Taverna in Vlychada which Martin mentioned is "Psaraki". It's definitely one of the best on the island and there you will find fresh fish for sure!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fresh local seafood??

Thank all of you! for all your great recommendations. We have already fallen head over heels with Greece (Santorini) and I will DRAG my non-fish-liker boyfriend anywhere close by to check out your suggestions!

Anyone else that has suggestions/experiences, please let me know. Would be much appreciated!

Does anyone know the name of the place weasie was referring to by the school?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fresh local seafood??

Hey weasie et all. Sounds like you know Santorini well. We rented a car and toured the island and found out how tiny this little gem is! Maybe it's just me, but Fira seemed to be a shoulder to shoulder tourist trap nightmare. Maybe we didn't go to the right places..? For us, Kamari is wonderful. I heard previously to our first visit that Santorini was 'very expensive' ... we didn't find that the case at all. I suppose it's all relative. If one stays at a 5 star resort and dines at 5 star restaurant, then I guess it may be expensive, but no more than any other establishment in the world.

Santorini
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: fresh local seafood??

Psaraki in Vlychada and Francesco in Perissa. Be aware that price goes by the kilo.... ;)

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fresh local seafood??

Hello there

BE CAREFUL of all the fish tavernas...most of them are selling you frozen fish for Fresh,putting the frozen fish in salt water don't make this fish fresh!!!!

From my experiance FOR SURE i know fresh fish there is in Galini is Monolithos its about 5 min with a car from Kamari, but you can walk also 15-20 min from Kamari,its a little road near the middle of the airport from the sea side road...you will see the sign also...

Have great Holidays

Dino

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fresh local seafood??

Hi christinj333,

Fira can be a tourist nightmare, especially when there are loads of cruise ships docked. I don't often go there, and if I do, I do what I have to and get the hell out as quick as I can.

I always stay in Perissa, the other side of the mountain from Kamari. I visited kamari for day trips before, but I much prefer the more laid back atmosphere of Perissa.

Santorini can be very expensive, especially up in Fira and even more especially in Oia where some of the prices are, to my mind, a total rip-off, but if people are prepared to pay, so be it. Generally, anywhere with a caldera view is going to be more expensive, but I suppose that's the same the world over.

Just as an example, I took a couple of friends to Oia last year for the day and we went to Melenio, a beautiful cafe with great views, where it cost over €30 for 3 cups of coffee and a slice of (delicious) cake each. I also walked by one of the more highly regarded restaurants where I noticed on the menu that an appetiser would cost me the same a full dinner in Perissa.

Having said that, if you shop around, there are bargains (by Oia standards anyway) to be had.

But for me, it's Perissa with occasional treat visits to Oia and Fira.

Martin

newcastle -upon-tyne
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: fresh local seafood??

i think i have found out the name of the taverna it probably is the Bacchus. there are a few reviews about it and from the discription it sounds like the one

Get answers to your questions about Kamari