We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Sheffield
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
car hire

We are hiring a car for the first time in Santorini- do we need other documentation apart from a UK drivers Licence? Is there another "permit" or similar that we will need, and if so, how do we get it/them? Thanks in advance for any information

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

As I understand it if you live in the UK your regular drivers license and passport are all you need. But to be sure you should check with your local auto club.

Edited: 1:35 pm, September 03, 2010
newcastle -upon-tyne
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

yes bbl is right just your licence and passport will do.

newcastle -upon-tyne
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

sorry should be bll...... to much ouzo!!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

If you have the photo card licence you should bring the paper part as well. Both would be needed if you are stopped at all even if the car hire place is happy with just the card.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire

Thank you all for your helpful information, didn't want to get there and find the vital bit of paper or plastic was back in Sheffield. We'll be in Kamari on 28th Sept- counting off the days...

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire

I'm off to Perissa on the 28th to - which flight are you on? I'm on the Thomas Cook, just over 3 weeks now, can't wait.

Martin

Sheffield
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire

We're on the 10.10 TC flight from Manchester, which seems to have become the 11.00. Staying at the Aegean View, and will be visiting Perissa for the first time. I was really hoping that Akrotiri would be open by now, but it still looks like years away. I should know better!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire

Looks like we're on the same flight then - I've not got my tickets yet, but if the time has only changed by less than an hour, I'll be happy. When I went in June, I had 2 airline changes and 3 time changes and instead of leaving at 9am, we left at 3pm - grrrrrr.

It's a shame about Akrotiri - it's one of the few things I've not been able to do on Santorini as yet, but maybe sometime in the next 10 years it'll open again.

Martin

Sheffield
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire

Got the tickets yesterday- it is 11.00. The same flight last year was really quiet; only about 1/3 full, hope it's the same.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire

Picked mine up the other day.

Some friends gone out today for 3 weeks, more going out next week for 2 weeks then me on 28th for 1 week so we should have a good time.

Can't wait now, so close......

Martin

Get answers to your questions about Kamari