We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
29 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

We're going to Nendaz for Christmas and wonder what we should expect. What is the skiing like for myself and our two early teenage kids? My wife does not ski, what can she look forward to? If we skip a day or two of skiing and have a rental car, what would you reccomend as an excursion? How often did you wind up going to Verbier -- is Nendaz a "suburb" or a site in its own right?

Any practical tips on food, family-friendly nightlife, ski-tickets etc. is appreciated.

Peba

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

Hi Peba,

The 4 Vallées encompasses 4 different resorts - Verbier, Nendaz, Veysonnaz, Thyon and La Tzoumaz - that are all linked together by a lift system. It is and excellent area, but consider this:

I was there last January 13th to hike. I met others there from the US that told me out of a month they had only 4 days of skiing for lack of snow. I suggest that you take a look at Zermatt which is up the Rhone valley from Nandaz and has skiing all year because of the elevation. You don't need a car as the bus and train system is very good. If you are based in Nendaz you can take the postal bus and train to get to Zermatt and back in one rather long day. I have skied Zermatt, It is expensive but worth the effort. For non skiers there is shopping, wonderful hikes and great eating In Zermatt and The 4 Vallées.

Hope that helps

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
29 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

Thank You Greydog,

we have already booked our flights and a chalet from Xmas at Nendaz, so we're keeping our fingers crossed on the snow issue. If there's no snow, we'll just have to figure something out. It seems like last year was quite horrible on the snow front.

Peba

B92
Belgium
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

Dear Peba,

My wife and I went to Haute-Nandaz for the first time inMarch 2006.

We were so in love with the aria that we imediately decided to buy an appartement.

We go there in winter and summer time to ski, walk, and mountainbike. The infrastructure is excellent. And even if there is not a lot of snow, skiing should always be possible around Xmas on the mont-fort.

If you want to travel around I can recommend a trip to Ovronnaz and the wellness resort over there. It takes you trough the wineyards above the Rhone-valley.

There are a lot of good restaurants in Haute-Nendaz. I woulkd recommend :

- La Cabanne : Wallis-dishes

- Mont-rouge : gatronomic

- Tratoria dei savi : top Sardaignian food

- Hameau des clèves : traditionnal.

Maybe we will meet, because my wife and I will be there from 28 december until januari 4th. And we already go there next week for five days...

Best regards,

Bernard

Belgium

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
29 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

Bernard,

thank you for your reply. We are looking forward to our trip. Let's hope that we have good luck with the snow, but either way, I'm sure that we'll have a good time.

Peba

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
29 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

The trip to Nendaz was a success and the choice of destination was a good one. We rented a chalet near in Nendaz Station, the area around the ski lifts. Thank you all for your kind suggestions.

Nendaz is cosy and great with kids. The area was not too busy, the services were of great quality and we found the restaurants and other establishments to be cheaper than we expected and a lot cheaper than in Verbier. For someone in their early 20's Nendaz may be too quiet and tame, though.

The skiing was good. There was a lot of snow, and all the lifts were in use. We found that the time just around Xmas was a lot better than after the 27th, when the majority of the guests arrived.

The Nendaz runs were good, long and ranged from easy to challenging. Having said that, the runs on the Verbier side were wider, longer and had better sunshine than the runs on the Nendaz side. We enjoyed La Cabane de Balavaud -restaurant on the Nendaz side. The service was exemplary and the food and drinks were good and inexpensive. We wound up eating there almost every day instead of going to our chalet for lunch as we had originally expected.

For an enthusiast, it is easy to enjoy the runs of Verbier from the Nendaz side by taking a few lifts and runs to get from one side to another. Doing this with kids requires getting to the runs relatively early and navigating a black run on the way back to Nendaz.

We made the mistake of having the kids and my wife meet me in Verbier, as they were not ready to get to the runs early enough to take the lifts. This was a mistake, as the drive from Nendaz to Verbier took almost 90 minutes one way, almost double that of the over-optimistic navigator of our rented Renault Megane Scenic. None of the passengers were in any shape to ski after an hour and a half of twisty mountain roads.

If you plan to go to Verbier from Nendaz, take the ski-lifts and make sure you get back early enough to not miss the last lifts to Nendaz. I hear that the taxi fares from mid-points to Nendaz can be extreme.

nendaz
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

I actually live in Nendaz, and having skied most of the alps and america can say it is without doubt one of the best ski areas i've been.

For beginners it is perfect as the nursery slopes are at the top of the mountain, and for advanced there are plenty of itinary runs and places to go for off piste.

Altho the links back to Nendaz requires going down a black run, it is possible to get the lift down instead or there is a free shuttle bus from Siviez to Nendaz that leaves every half hour

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
29 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

You are right. By taking the lift down and the shuttle bus from Siview to Nendaz, you can get back from Verbier without the back runs. Didn't think of that, as I enjoyed the black runs myself.

Thank you for the clarification.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

Hi notapunter,

I could not get a room in Nendaz so I booked in Veysonnaz. Is it easy to get to Haute Nendez from Veysonnaz.

Have you lived there long?

Thanks,

Bob

Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

Hello,

We are going to Nendez for Christmas this year. Will arrive on the 20th. I was curious about renting a car, but sounds like transportation will be easy. How about shopping in Nendez?? There will be eight of us so I will be purchasing supplies somewhere to feed the mob. I am very excited about this trip. The first for my family as a group. Hope you can enlighten me on what to do besides ski, as some of us have bum knees. Karen

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is Nendaz like in Christmas?

Hi Karen,

Nendaz is a beautiful spot to spend Christmas.

To stock-up on food and supplies I recommend you make a run down to Migros in Sion.

(place de la Gare 2

1950 Sion

+41 27 327 72 27*)

Migros is the Wal-Mart of Switzerland. Also in Sion, try the outdoor cafes in the old part of the city with a view of the Château de Tourbillon!

Can’t help with the car rental as I have always used the trains and postal bus.

Nendaz is a small town. If it gets to quiet for you, head over to neiboring Verbier for some nightlife and upscale shopping.

Have a great trip…

Bob