We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild flowers in Salina

Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Wild flowers in Salina

I've read that there are lots of wild flowers in Salina. When is the best time to see them?

Does anyone have any recommendations of an apartment to stay on the island?

Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild flowers in Salina

April and May are glorious - Best time for wild flowers?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5649…

In The Aeolian Islands, A September Song:

nytimes.com/2002/…

Vagabonda

Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild flowers in Salina

Thank you Vagabond for your advice. Following your recommendation, we will postpone our trip till the end of April/beginning of May next year. We've already booked to go elsewhere at this time this year. (Whoops.)

This is the winter session though - so would that mean some facilities would be closed?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,615 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild flowers in Salina

Prego Retirednotout,

Although Easter generally ushers the tourist season in Sicily, April is early for a visit to the Aeolians, and even May is prior to the season, but lovely!

Aeolian islands in May - much to do?:

tripadvisor.com/…25863566

panarea in may:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g670800-i12297-k34…

You can see accommodation schedules on the Tourist Office of the Aeolian Islands website (da aprile or da maggio):

aasteolie.191.it/_Salina/…20SALINA.htm

Also, you may find this interesting about the blooming of Salina’s capers - Caper festival Salina:

tripadvisor.com/…39497370

mondodelgusto.it/2011/…

Nel periodo estivo, da giugno a settembre, il cappero ci regala una fioritura elegante e selvaggia che affascina con i suoi colori brillanti: bianco e viola.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild flowers in Salina

I see what you mean. The wild flowers might be best in April but out of the tourist season ferries and transport may not be so frequent. Ideally this year I am looking for a holiday in June. Thanks for all your advice. Perhaps we will risk an apartment next year in April.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,615 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild flowers in Salina

Well Salina’s Festa del Cappero in Fiore occurs in June Retirednotout, so perhaps contact Hotel Signum’s Clara Rametta.

http://goo.gl/gnSch

Combined ferry and hydrofoil service with Siremar and Ustica Lines is quite adequate during the off-season.

But ideally you would head further north for bloom in June – The Dolomites are stunningly beautiful then!

Perhaps consider May if possible...

Hope you find the perfect destination...

Vagabonda

Edited: 4:55 pm, February 15, 2013
Merthyr Tydfil...
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild flowers in Salina

thank you so much for your advice - I hope you have great holidays too this year!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,615 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild flowers in Salina

Grazie mille Retirednotout!!

Ciao -

Vagabonda

8. Re: Wild flowers in Salina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 18, 2014