We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Which Mt. Cook Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

We will be in Aoraki/Mt. Cook for one night and want to best experience the Tasman Glacier.

It appears that there is only one option for a Heli-Hike (www.mtcook.com/tasman-glacier-guided-walks/). Unfortunately, there is only one review on T.A. about this tour (and it's negative). Has anyone ever done this (or another) Heli-Hike on Tasman Glacier? If so, was your experience positive?

It appears that our only other option would be the Glacier Explorers Boat/Kayaking. I hesitate to book this tour because reviewers have complained that they did not get close to the glaciers or see much ice during this tour.

Miami Beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

We did not hike on the glacier. If I remember correctly, this option was not available at the time for this glacier.

Miami Beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Jaimui- We did could not use this company (www.mtcook.com/tasman-glacier-heli-hiking) because they needed a group of atleast 4 in order to go out.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
115 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Hey, just wonder whether u just took the helicopter flight for mt cook (40min one including 2 glaciers or 10/20min only for mt cook)? How long is snow landing on mt cook? And what time slot you pick (I heard that usually early morning would be better as there's likely mist in mid noon). Also, do you need wear lots of layers of warm clothes/pants for snow landing? Sorry for so many questions as I m struggling for heli-hike vs flight + snowlanding. Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
115 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Hey, just wonder whether u just took the helicopter flight for mt cook (40min one including 2 glaciers or 10/20min only for mt cook)? How long is snow landing on mt cook? And what time slot you pick (I heard that usually early morning would be better as there's likely mist in mid noon). Also, do you need wear lots of layers of warm clothes/pants for snow landing? Sorry for so many questions as I m struggling for heli-hike vs flight + snowlanding. Thanks

Miami Beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Hi Zhuhai - This route included a snow landing, not a landing on the ice. We stayed on the snow for about 5 minutes and took some great pictures.

Miami Beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Hi Sing- The routes/times you're able to select will depend largely on the weather and whether they have enough people for the heli. We were checking with them everyday up until the day of our trip and were lucky to have been able to go out on our final day in Mt. Cook/Aaoraki. We wore many layers to be safe but were actually warm during the heli ride and atop the snow. I believe we were on the snow for about 5 minutes. The tour operators are likely best suited to respond to your remaining questions. I would highly recommend the trip. www.mtcook.com/tasman-glacier-heli-hiking

London, United...
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Hi all, I was looking to do the same thing as OBGLaw - a heli Hike but nothing was offered like the ones you have at Franz Joseph and Fox Glacier only senic trips with a snow/glacier landing.

My heli hike got cancelled at Franz Joseph due to bad weather so was hoping to do same at Mt Cook when staying at the Hermitage.

I ended up doing a scenic flight with snow/glacier landing at Queenstown.

Now I'm planning to return back to Fox, Franz and Mount Cook for another go at Heli Hiking to see the caves, blues ices etc. Really wanted to do a trek up there. Its the only place that dose a proper heli hike in the world. Norway and Switzaland do something similar but as good.

I would be interested in the Mount Cook heli hike but like OBLaw says - only one negative review. The Hermitage hotel in mount cook now advertises this heli hike.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Hi all,

I was in New Zealand with my parents in december 2014. After reading this thread we decided to call Southern Alps Guiding (http://www.mtcook.com) and book their Heli Hike. It was absolutely amazing and a wonderful experience. We called Charlie Hobbs the owner two days before and ended up being extremely lucky to catch a good weather window. If you can i would advise to plan some extra time in case the weather doesnt hold. Everyone at the Old Mountaineer Cafe was super friendly (and the food was great) and the tour was perfect. There was 5 of us (my parents,me, a dutch couple) and Charlie Hobbs our guide. We walked for about 2 hours on the tasman glacier. Charlie did an awesome job in keeping us all entertained and getting everyone comfortable walking on crampons. Even my mum, who's 66 and was a bit scared beforehand, enjoyed the experience immensely. The whole business is very professional and takes great care of the safety of their clients while at the same time they are very relaxed and nice.

So, yes. Well worth it and I'm glad we found them. Highly recommended. :)

Mona

London, United...
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

only one thing worries me, there appears to be a lot of crevices along the foot trail, and seen videos on utube of people walking in close proximity or jumping over them. So do u avoid falling down one as thre seesm to be so many a long the foot trail?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Heli-Hike Mt. Cook/Tasman Glacier or Glacier Explorers Boat?

Thats why you do a guided tour - so the guides can teach you how not to kill yourself while out walking :)