We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather and attire in december..

Which Mt. Cook Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
weather and attire in december..

Hi everyone,

My partner and I will be in Aoraki this december for 2nights. What is the avg air temparature in the 2nd week of december? how cold does it get? we are flying with jetstar with no allowance for luggage. So will only have 10k each. So just don't want to take along anything unnecessary!

Should we just take a jumper? or is it necessary to take heavy weight fleece jackets/overcoats?

do we need a waterproof layer as well?

what type of footwear do you need for the walks (especially the hooker valley walk) and the glacier cruise? would a nike walking sneaker be alright? or ugg boots?

Appreciate any of your help. thanks very much,

Sards,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather and attire in december..

trying to travel light, ugg boots would be the first thing I jettisoned.

While staying at Aoraki you stay on the valley floor so the weather is not the cold temps experienced at high altitude. In Dec the weather can be fickle across the entire country - you could experience everything from a heat wave to a snow storm. Pack layers which can be added as needed. When the sun drops in the evening the temp can make a huge plunge - best to have a warm fleece and a lightweight rain jacket. You won't need overcoats. If worried you might find it cold, bring a pair of lightweight thermals - merino wool thermals is best - you can easily buy them here.

Walking shoes or light hiking boots is best - in the summer months you can do the Hooker Valley and Tasman glacier walks in Teva's.

Happy packing :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather and attire in december..

Sorry, forgot to add this link to temps niwa.co.nz/sites/default/files/mean_daily_ma…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather and attire in december..

Thank you WanakaLakes.. That is so helpful.. :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,287 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather and attire in december..

Being in a valley, Aoraki can even get quite hot in December. i have certainly swum in the glacial lakes in previous summers. Normal hiking attire would be T-shirt & shorts & lots of sun screen. Leave the overcoats & hiking boots at home. However be prepared for rain. Being a world heritage area, walking tracks are of a high standard & Nikes/ tevas will be adequate for the short walks. Good quality trainers/"Merrellls" or such would be better if you plan to go up to Mueller Hut or the Sealy Tarns.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather and attire in december..

Thank you Zhuhai. Another question I have is:

What should we "must" do while in the mt Cook region?

1. Glacier explorer tour, or

2. heli hike, or

3. flight over the glaciers, or

4. just do the walks? how much of the glaciers can we experience if we just do the free walks?

We are on a budget. Not sure whether we should pay $145 each for an hour on the lake or should we just do the walks?

If it's an other worldly unique experience we'll do it. What do you reckon?

We're actually thinking about doing a whitewater rafting trip in Queenstown instead of this cruise. We have done rafting before in Tongariro river however we feel like this would be a complete different experience.

Confused like anything!

Edited: 10:23 pm, September 16, 2012
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather and attire in december..

A number of years ago I went to Aoraki with a Kiwi friend who had never been before - we took a ski-plane to play in the snow, then we helicoptered and landed in the snow and then took the glacier explorers trip and yes, it was a very expensive weekend!

The Tasman's terminal lake with icebergs is the only one in the world which you can walk to - the other (in Patagonia?) is remote and requires a helicopter trip. Sometimes the icebergs are spectaculer, othertimes not. But it's a very interesting trip either way. Google tasman glacier icebergs for amazing pics.

If you, I would wait and decide once there. Take the walks to the viewpoints etc over the lake and glacier and see if the boat cruise appeals. Weather can play a major part in the decidion making process too.

One thing to keep in mind - the best helicopter trip I've ever done is out of Wanaka over her glaciers. So if helicopter wins out then consider Wanaka - see my review for details.

Edited: 11:05 pm, September 16, 2012
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,287 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather and attire in december..

There are two walks you can do for free that will get you near the glaciers. The Kea Point track ( 1 hour each way) takes you to the side of the Mueller Glacier, which has retreated so much that you only see lots of rocks and a small muddy lake, but you get great views of the ice shelf on Mt Sefton.

The short walk (30 min each way) to the launch point for the Tasman Explorer tour is also free and you can see icebergs in the distance. You can also climb to the top of the lateral morraine of the Tasman Glacier - from the Blue Lake car park.

The Hooker Valley walk is the premier walk and can take up to 3 hours return, if you go across both swing bridges.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather and attire in december..

Thank you again.. I get what you are saying.. I'll wait till we get there! :)

9. Re: weather and attire in december..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 19, 2013