We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mueller hut for 61 year old

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mueller hut for 61 year old

I go to gym everyday (my husband doesn't) and we have no extra weight. 6 years ago my husband had a heart operation. What do you think about our climbing to Mueller hut? I saw some pictures on the Internet and got an idea to climb there. Looks very very beautiful there around the hut! I really can add more special exercises in gym to get prepared for October climbing(I have 4 month) and push my husband to do exercises.

Where is the best place to stay over night before the climb that it is easy to get up in the morning and get our tickets for the hut? You can recommend hostel also. Do a lot of people go to Mueller hut at this period of year?

Should we get sleeping bags for a night stay there in early October?

Thank you!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,261 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mueller hut for 61 year old

Regardless of whether you go summer or winter you will need sleeping bags. In October you'll need "three season" bags at least. You would need to stay overnight at or close to Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park (including the YHA or Alpine Backpackers or Glentanner Station). It can be done as a day trip but sounds like you want to stay the night. Obvuiously you'd need to check snow conditions with DoC closer to the time. I was there in early October last year and the snow level was high but this changes year-to-year.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mueller hut for 61 year old

zhuhai, thank you so much for your contribution. I plan to climb in first days of October. When you climb last year was snow everywhere on the ground? What was temperature of air? Was it difficult to climb?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,261 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mueller hut for 61 year old

No, as I said, the snow line was very high. We didn't reach the snow. It is a steep climb but you can take it slowly. Keep up the gym hours and do plenty of hill climbs with a pack!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mueller hut for 61 year old

There are also professional mountain guides operating in that area if you feel you might like a bit of extra assistance on the day.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mueller hut for 61 year old

I am not sure that the gym is quite the same as walking up a mountain, but it is a great start. Try to get some practice on real hills prior. The climb to Mueller Hut is 1000m - make sure you know what that means (even if only by comparison to a smaller climb you have done beforehand). Practice with the weight that you will be carrying, and prepare for rocky uneven ground. Check out the conditions with DOC before you set off. With preparation I am sure you can do it, and it will be an experience you will never forget.

Here is the DOC description of the route:

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

If you are not confident in your ability to do it alone, hiring a local guide would be an excellent idea.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mueller hut for 61 year old

Sam5697,

thank you very much!

7. Re: Mueller hut for 61 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 27, 2013