We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mt cook - dunedin

Which Mt. Cook Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
mt cook - dunedin

Will be driving from Mt Cook to Dunedin in March. Which route would you recommend and any nice lunch stops on the way?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mt cook - dunedin

the most direct route would be out to Twizel, down to Omarama, then out to near Oamaru then down to Dunedin.

You can eat at all the small towns especially Omarama and Oamaru

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mt cook - dunedin

A lot will depend on the time you drive through places as to whether you eat there or not. If I was in Omarama at meal time, or even just a coffee I would go to the Wrinkly ram, otherwise I would wait until I got to Oamaru a bit over a hour away.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mt cook - dunedin

Thanks guys..

Any particular outlet I should try at Oamaru? I've already been to Wrinkly Ram, don't ming trying something new..

And anything special to buy/see on the way...cheese, organic eggs...??? :))

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mt cook - dunedin

Hi How long does it take? we are planning same way on April... 3 kids in the car..

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
221 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mt cook - dunedin

Hi Anat

Driving at a safe speed and allowing for a couple of short photo opportunities I would allow four and a half hours for the drive. Maybe a bit longer if you stop off for a cup of coffee and a snack somewhere like Omarama.

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mt cook - dunedin

Thanks!

7. Re: mt cook - dunedin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, May 29, 2013