We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

Our current plan is to drive from Queenstown to Christchurch, via Mount Cook. We have a reservation to go glacier kayaking at 2 pm on the first day. We are thinking about staying either in Twizel or Tekapo. The second day, we would need to leave Twizel/Tekapo for Christchurch, to catch a 2:30 pm international flight back to the U.S. (we're thinking we'd need to be at the airport by 11:30 in order to drop the rental car off etc).

We're wondering if the glacier kayaking is worth the time pressure it adds to the first day (and the impact to the next day's drive)?

Is this too long a drive in the second day? Should we be staying somewhere closer to Christchurch (eg Timaru)?

Are we trying to squeeze too much in to the 2 days ?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

If you want to be at the airport by 11am I would not stay any further away than Tekapo. I would even concider Geraldine for the night. It has better choices for dinner that night anyway.

It's a good road from Tekapo to Christchurch but you are not giving yourself any margin. By staying in Geraldine you are over Burkes pass, and just have a straight run into the airport. It would be nicer, and slightly closer than Timaru

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

That's a good idea - we will look into Geraldine. Would you still recommend kayaking at Mt Cook, or does that make for a very long day? Should we look for a different activity at Mt Cook - any suggestions? Much appreciated.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

I havn't tried any of the commercial activities at Aoroki, so can not comment. (I'm working when I'm there) It is a beautiful place, so whatever you choose should hit the spot for you. These are excelent roads so just take your time and you should be fine. There aren't many places in Geraldine so I would book ahead. I've eaten at Easyway and in the newish tavern with the park beside it. Both were excelent.

NYC
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

We ended up staying in Geraldine at Victoria Villa - it was a great stopover and made for an easy drive the next day. Decided, though, not to do the kayaking, but instead just a short hike. Made for a more relaxing (although still very full!) day. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

Thanks for coming back and telling us.

cheers

Midlands
Level Contributor
289 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

Hi,

We are looking at the same thing but our flight does not leave until 4.45pm, our plans were to stay in CC for the last night but on reading the forums it is suggested we stay away, so are looking at staying at Mount Cook for an extra night to do some walking, then head from there straight to the airport. What do you think.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

That's a sound plan George. Happy travels :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

Aoraki Mt Cook to Christchurch is about 3 hours if you stick to the speed limits and nothing goes wrong. You need time to drop of your car and check in. Why not have your walk around at Aoraki in the afternoon and leave latish for Geraldine? This is a road quite suitable for late afternoon/evening. There are some good options for dinner in Geraldine. I can recomend the pub (forgotten it's name -could be Station Inn) just next to the village green,

9. Re: Mt Cook to Christchurch for Same Day International Flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 18, 2012