We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Christchurch to Mt. Cook; best route what to see?

Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Christchurch to Mt. Cook; best route what to see?

I am driving a rental car from Christchurch to the Hermitage Hotel at Mount Cook on Dec 27th. I am interested in finding out the best route to take and also what I should stop and see on the way. Is the 3-D Mount Cook film worthwhile? What about the Edmond Hilary documentary? How about the 'Church of the Shephard?' Also, I am continuing down to Queenstown a couple of days later. Any suggestions regarding route or activities on the way down? What is the best route from Queenstown to Christchurch? Thanks for your help!!!

Mark

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,405 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Christchurch to Mt. Cook; best route what to see?

There is not a lot of choice. You could take the Inland Scenic route - head west from Chch to Darfield then turn south to Mt Somers, Methven & eventually Fairlie OR start with HW 1 south to Ashburton & Rakaia then inland to Geraldine & Fairlie. After Fairlie there is no choice - Lake Tekapo-Pukaki-Aoraki/Mt Cook. (well there is a detour option which I always enjoy - take the private canal road signposted about 10 km south of Tekapo to "Mt Cook Salmon Farm". Great views on a clear day).

Edited: 5:37 am, December 23, 2010
Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Christchurch to Mt. Cook; best route what to see?

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Christchurch to Mt. Cook; best route what to see?

I suggest the inland scenic route thru to Fairlie rather than the dull SH1 trip. Make sure you visit Hooker Valley at Mt Cook area too. Enjoy your travels in NZ.

4. Re: Driving Christchurch to Mt. Cook; best route what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:56 am, June 22, 2011