We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter rides

Bangkok, Thailand
13 posts
Save Topic
Helicopter rides

What would the experts you recommend a helicopter ride from Lake Tekapo or from Mt. Cook. Want to avoid the 1hour plus drive to Mt. Cook if the ride is equally good at Lake Tekapo.

Also how is the boat ride on the Tasman at Mt. Cook, is it worth doing that to get a feel of the ice.

Are there any tours that take you onto the Tasman glacier.

Thank you

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter rides

Either, though the drive up the valley to Aoraki/Mt Cook is stunning in clear weather and well worth the round trip.

The boat ride on the Tasman terminal lake is highly recommended.

Nope, no tours onto Tasman glacier that I know of.

Bangkok, Thailand
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter rides

Thanks WanakaLakes.

I am getting rooms at the Alpine Lodge at Mt. Cook, do you recommend these. Between Helicopter line and the Mt. Cook Ski planes do you have any preference or recommended tour. Have never done a helicopter ride before so would prefer the heli over the plane.

The Tasman boat ride is out, they don't take kids below 4.

I have my parents aged 60 and 55 plus 2 kids 7 and 3, what can you recommend at Queenstown for us. Read about family adventures, is there anything we can do as a group to enjoy Queenstown.

Me and my wife want to do the shotover jet, what can the rest do while we go for this.

Appreciate your help.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter rides

Sorry, I can't comment on the Lodge as I've never stayed there.

The ski planes are great, but nothing - absolutely nothing! - beats a helicopter. Not at all scary, with less turbulence than a small plane and your kids/olds will love it too.

What to do in Queenstown? The TSS Earnslaw and farm tour is fabulous for all ages www.realjourneys.co.nz/Main/TSSEarnslaw_WP/

plus the luge too. Also go watch the brave/foolhardy jump off the bridge at the bungee jump.

The Shotover Jet takes just 20 minutes so I suggest you all drive to the river. The kids and olds can take pics of you leaving and returning, plus they can enjoy a cold drink overlooking the amazing canyon while waiting for you.

Enjoy :)

Bangkok, Thailand
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter rides

Thank you.

Have booked a helicopter ride for 9am....hopefully the weather will be good at that time.

Have been doing some reading on Wanaka, would you recommend Wanaka or Queenstown for our group (ages 60,55,7,3) for activities. Want to make sure we pack in something exciting for both age groups.

How long is the drive from Franz Josef to Christchurch....can it be done in a day via Arthurs pass.

Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,833 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter rides

In QTN the half day trip on the Earnslaw steam ship is great for children - you visit a farm on the other side of the lake. Franz Josef to Christchurch is about 5 hours driving. 1st stop Hokitika - good place for lunch. Lots of craftsman jewellers work here using local gold, jade (greenstone) and abalone shell (paua); Then stop at the Otira Viaduct lookout for the adults plus hope to see a native alpine parrot (the kea); finally afternoon tea and a short walk at Arthurs Pass and it is under 2 hours to Christchurch.

Bangkok, Thailand
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter rides

Thank you.

Another question where can the 7 and 3 year old play on snow (except 5 mins that we get with the heli snow landing). They are not allowed for any of the glacier hikes.

Would appreciate your suggestions. The kids have never seen snow, so this will be a big draw.

Thanks,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter rides

You could visit the Antarctic Centre in Christchurch.They have a snow room where you can enjoy enjoy a blizzard. They even provide warm clothing for you.

iceberg.co.nz/pages/…-ice-experience.htm

8. Re: Helicopter rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 10, 2011