We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

Which Arthur's Pass National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

hi, i will be taking the family to New Zealand for 3 weeks in Dec this year, so ive started planning. i wish to know is there any designated parks or places for motorhomes to park in arthurs pass? (overnight only).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,927 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

There is a DoC campsite right in the middle of the village, with toilets and a cooking shelter for campers. sandwhiched between the railway kine and the highway so not he most scenic spot in town! Or there is Klondyke Corner a few KM on the Chch side of AP village, much more rustic.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

awesome mate! thanks so much :)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

ill go along with Zhuhai's comments either in the village between the road and the railway staion, or Klondyke Corner. there is also one small spot between Arthur's and Klondyke called Greyneys Flat.. If your camper is fully compliant then there are a few other small spots close to the road. have fun planning

California
Level Contributor
6,611 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

Here's a link to the DOC map and campsites in the area:

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

cheers guys :) i really appreciate your help.

South Lake Tahoe, CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

It's not right at Arthur's Pass, but just down the road about half an hour (towards the west coast) is an amazing rv park called Jackson's Retreat. Was there recently, and it was hands down the nicest camp facility I stayed at in NZ. Beautiful grounds, really nice showers and facilities, free bikes to use, and hiking trails right from the park. You can hike about 20 minutes through the jungle to see a lovely waterfall. We stayed there and then woke up early to head up to Arthur's pass for the hike to avalanche peak. Worked out perfectly. Highly recommended!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

thanks tahoejules :) ill check it out.

another thing i should have originally asked as well, was how are the roads/tracks to these places? it will be my first time driving a motor home and although im fairly confident, id' prefer not to have to spend an hour or two traversing difficult tracks or trails.

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

Am wondering if there are rest stops/rest areas where you can pull over and rest for an hour if fatigued use a restroom, buy a snack (vending machines?) etc...

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,066 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

I have parked a compliant camper at the Klondike Corner. There is a bit more space there to get a bit further away from the road. The only problem we has was that the Kea would not show the orange under their wings to the camera.

There are some good places to buy food before you climb Porters Pass: Darfield, Sheffield, and Springfield but the next place is Arthurs Pass Village.

Edited: 5:42 pm, February 21, 2013
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,927 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to park motorhome in arthurs pass?

There are no vending machines alone the roads. You have to stop in towns/villages for food. Good tip is to buy a polystyrene "chilly bin" or cooler bag from The Warehouse and carry cold drinks & snacks with you.