We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, please , please be very wise in making Goldcar your choice of car rental,

Firstly we were left at Fuerte airport long after everyone had gone ( including the taxis) wandering around looking for a mini-bus.. A very kind security chap rang on our behalf who luckily knew the owner of the company for someone to pick us up.

Eventually at the office a demand for payment for "Extra" insurance to include tyres, glass etc and a full tank of fuel which came to 84 euros. Apparently when we booked them through Holiday Hypermarket we entered into an agreement which didnt include these extras!!!! I feel we had a really bad start to our holiday please do your research carefully - thanks for reading

Ravenna, Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right !!!!!!!!!!

simply DO NOT rent a car fron Goldcar. They charge you a lot of extras

Ravenna, Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right !!!!!!!!!!

simply DO NOT rent a car fron Goldcar. They charge you a lot of extras

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wyk187806 there is no need for sarcasm, just be thankful it didn't happen to you because i am sure if it did you would be warning people of your experience somewhere online.

sarahlin 84euros in extras is shocking, i usually pay around 100 euros for a weeks car in fuerte including all extras. Have you contacted holiday hypermarket to complain?

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used Gold Car this week when in Fuerteventura. It was a very bad experience. Their office is not at the airport but no one came to meet us to tell us what was happening. Eventually, we rung their office (expensive phone-call from English mobile). They told us to wait for a bus at a certain bus stop.

The bus came and took as to a portacabin at a petrol station. We had to queue for quite a long time. When we got to the front of the queue, we found out that you had to pay upfront for a WHOLE tank of petrol. They charged EUR69 from this - way above what it would have cost to buy the petrol ourselves (about EUR30). They then showed us to our car which had a hubcap missing, the interior light was hanging down from the ceiling and the driver's door did not open from the inside.

We tried to speak to the staff to show them the faults with the car but they were not interested. There was not the typical diagram where you circle / sign the pre-existing faults so you have no protection against them trying to fob you off and say it was you.

They told us to return to the car hire place 15 minutes before we needed to be at the airport. Thankfully, we left 45 minutes because when we arrived there was (again) a massive queue. The hand over process was even more unprofessional than it was at the start.

Using Gold Car was a stressful experience and also a rip-off. I would not recommend this company to anyone. BEWARE!!!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a million for these reviews. I cancelled my Goldcar booking and rebooked with Cicar. I had a good experience with Cicar - located in the airport and also I could take the car to Lanzarote at no extra cost. Goldcar had earlier said, taking the car to lanzarote would cost me 20euros per day extra for insurance.

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was asked for my credit card and told to return the car empty - nobody mentioned extra, unwanted insurance and that they would OVERCHARGE for the petrol. My next credit card bill revealed an additional charge of £132 on top of what I had already prepaid for the car hire and Total Damage Excess Waiver. I complained to Holiday Autos who I had booked the car through online and they explained that the extra charges were for "relax insurance" which apparently becomes mandatory if you pay by debit card - I did NOT pay by debit card; a "diesel fee" (not requested and not understood!); an "upgrade fee" (again not requested); and an exhorbitant £60 for fuel - like you, I returned the car with petrol and if I had filled it up on the island, it would have cost around £40. To their credit, Holiday Autos refunded me the insurance I had paid them and the diesel and upgrade fees but they couldn't get the "Relax Insurance" fee out of Goldcard. Like you, I found the staff unpleasant, lacking in training, uncommunicative and have been assured that further training will be provided to make it a better experience for future hirers. I, however, will NEVER use this rip-off organisation again. How can we campaign to get them to change their practices, or get them closed down? Any online forums, rating sites, etc. that you know of, please advise and I will post my sorry tale there too to help others avoid this pain.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just found these comments - wish that I had seen them earlier. I ended up being overcharged £75 more than I was expecting (for insurance for second person driving and for the petrol - none of this was made clear to me at the time upon renting). I had been told that I would only be paying £100 and it was only when I saw my credit card statement that I realised they had taken £175 off my card! £175 for the week for a small Fiat Panda car - outrageously expensive!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, DO NOT USE GOLDCAR!!!! - we too have just been ripped off. We arrived at Barcelona airport and had to wait for a minibus to take us to pick the car up from Goldcar. At the office they told us they needed a credit card to charge us for the petrol and insurance. I said we had paid for the insurance already when booking, since the deal with it was £202 for a week's hire. They said it was only basic and we had to pay more. They said any unused petrol would be accounted for and the charge refunded accordingly. Upon returning the car they said they would pay us back the price of the three quarters of a tank we had left. When I checked my statement once home, I saw that they have charged us well over 100 pounds. No refund has appeared. I will be following this up tomorrow! To add insult to injury, their office is impossible to find, nowhere near the airport terminal and the car was not clean. We picked it up late at night, so only saw the real state of it the next morning. It's a con, so don't give them your money! I was fooled by an Internet comparison site search for a cheap deal. I will stick with Avis or Eurocar in future.

wolverhampton
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi .. im sorry im really late replying.. I contacted holiday hypermarket on our return after speaking to the manager who brushed it off " as one of those things" ...needless to say im booking with another company to go back to fuerte and as we drive past Goldcar rental they will get the royal wave..........with two fingers..

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar Car Rental !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like everyone else I so wished we had read the reviews. For one week Goldcar charged us 250 euros for a beaten up gutless Ford in Barcelona. 100 euros was a full tank of gas which we used less than half, but no way any money back. Therefore the next customer will also pay 100 euros for their full tank, costing Gold car virtually nothing and they are quids in!! There is no way we could recommend this company, and never would we book with them again.