We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

Which Aberlour hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

Thanks to useful information from people on the Scotland forum earlier this year, I’ve booked a long weekend for me and my husband in Speyside in late June, as a 40th birthday celebration (his).

We’ll be staying in Aberlour, and I plan for us to do the Aberlour distillery tour/tasting on the Friday afternoon. We both like walking, so I’m wondering what other distilleries we could walk to/from Aberlour on the Saturday. I’ve looked at the very helpful thread started by Kevin From America and I think two distillery tours may well be enough for the weekend, so need to pick the second one carefully!

Any thoughts would be really welcome.

16 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,608 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

ypu could walk to Macallan less than an hour from Aberlour along part of the Speyside way.,in Craigellachie near macallan there is the Craigellachie distillery but it is not open for visitor but just up from there is the Craigellachie Copperage which is worth a vist ,also in Craigellachie is the Craigellachie hotel with its famous Quiach Bar well worth visitng as is the Highlander Inn nearby ,they do some very good tasting selections of whiskies.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

Hi Bristol,

Glad you found that thread useful, I have to go back and reread it, as we're now less than 2 weeks away from our trip.

That Aberlour tour looks great, I assume you are talking about the connoisseurs' tour? 5 or 6 samples. BTW, did you make a reservation?

You've got a lot of distilleries to choose from, though walking to each won't work. Double check bus routes in the area. For instance, I've seen bus stops on the maps between Aberlour and Dufftown (though walkable). I would have suggested the Balvanie tour, but they are closed on Sat. Glenfiddich is right there and have a Connoisseurs' tour.

Uncle Gus's suggestions sounds great. I almost decided to stay at those hotels mentioned. Also here is a link to the Speyside Way.

www.moray.org/area/speyway/webpages/map.html

Of course, you;ve got Craggenmore, Glenfarclas, Glenlivet, etc.... out there.

Also about 3m north of you is the town of Rothes (Glenrothes, GlenGrant distilleries).

Regards,

Kevin

Bristol
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

Thanks for both these great replies.

Uncle Gus - thanks for the recommendations. I think we will definitely make a stop at one of the bars in Craigellachie. Macallan's website seems to suggest they don't do full distillery season b/w 22 June and 2 August but the cooperage sounds like a good alternative.

Kevin - yes, I've booked the 'Founders' tour at Aberlour which looks great. Thanks for the Speyside Way map which is v helpful. I'm going to look at Glen Grant and Glenrothes too. Not too hopeful about buses but I'll check them out...

At the risk of stretching everyone's patience, any suggestions for where to eat? At the moment we're booked in for dinner at the Mash Tun for the three nights of our stay, but I wonder if a trip (taxi?) to somewhere like La Faisanderie in Dufftown or the Archiestown Hotel might be worth it for a bit of variety?

Hope you have a great trip!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,608 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

The Mash Tun is very good.The tour I did at Aberlour was several years ago,included a tasting of 6 malts from the ditillery,it was very good,we even drank the stuff left over from a group of Germans that did not seem to care for the whisky (waste not want not).We were a bit worse for wear and got a taxi back to Craigellachie (we stayed in the Highlandr Inn) we had intended walking..

There is a good bus service to and from Dufftown but taxis will be cheap enough.

Bristol
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

Why bother going on a whisky tasting if you don't like whisky?! Glad to hear it didn't go to waste! Also good to hear that the tasting was worth doing, I'm looking forward to it.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

I've read a lot of great reviews for The Taste of Speyside in Dufftown. It's on our list, if things work out.

Montreal
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

Regarding the tours at the Aberlour distillery, does anyone have personal experience or know anything more than is on their Website about the more expensive Founders Tour?

25 pounds instead of 12, a bit longer, tasting of 4 different Scotch and not 6 (I feel cheated there!), but you get some chocolates to pair with your Scotch! I think we'll do the "regular" Warehouse tour, since we're already doing Balvenie, but if there is some extra cool surprise, I might get swayed! As chief organizer I get the last word.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,608 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

the tours have obviously change a fair bit since I was last there,must make another visit.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

Greetings from Speyside all!

Kevin you must be about to start your packing - please bring some warm layers and a waterproof - our weather seems to have deteriorated!!

Bristiol BW - Sadly I cannot recommend the Delnasaugh Inn at Bridge of Avon - maybe we just caught them on a bad day, but the meal was expensive and didn't taste all that great, sorry. I have heard The Mash Tun is very good - at weekends its a pit stop for the many bikers who whizz around the area enjoying the winding, empty roads - but don't let that put you off, they are a grand bunch.

You are not far from Tomintoul so The Clockhouse would be somewhere I would recommend. The Croft Inn at Glenlivet is meant to be good but I haven't tried it yet.

There is also this place

http://atasteofspeyside.com/

Haven't tried it but it seems to get good reviews. (Duh! Kevin has already mentioned it!!)

Have a great holiday - its a beautiful area, with stunning scenery and very peaceful. There are some great walks on Glenlivet Estate and you can pick up leaflets locally.

http://www.glenlivetestate.co.uk/walks.html

Don't forget to visit Grantown on Spey if you have time - the Museum is worth a look.

http://www.visitgrantown.co.uk/

regards

Woody x

Montreal
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour

UncleGus,

you REALLY should go and do the new tour, preferably in the next 2 weeks, so I can make an informed decision on which one to book... LOL!

As far as restaurants in Dufftown, I've read good reviews on La Faisandrie as well, and intent to try both that and Taste of Speyside, as we'll stay in town 4 nights.

Reply to: Walking to distilleries from Aberlour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aberlour