We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

I will have 6 full hours to explore the Island in late August. Wondering if it is possible to explore a beach beaches on that time. Either walking or maybe renting a bicycle? and which ones should be the better ones to go too.

Thank you!

10 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

When you get off the boat, whether it's a ferry or a day trip boat, there is a little road that goes straight up in front of you which you goes into the centre of the village. When you hit the main street you can venture up the left, but there's much up there to see, but if you turn right you will come down through most of the village and end up at the beach near the port. If you want to venture further, go along the road to the left as you face the sea and if you keep going you will pass 4 beaches, the first within 20 minutes. There are also various other little private beaches and rocks to sunbathe on. It will probably take at least 45 minutes to walk to the furthest one at Pori. There is also a beach boat that leaves the port every hour and stops at 2 of these beaches and between the other 2.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

Thank you for the information! I think I will do the walk and check out those beaches....can't wait! Seems totally doable to do the whole walk and back.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
14 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

For a round trip walk:

Go up the hill immediately opposite the port. When you hit the main village street go right and continue straight on this is a central road across the island and you will end up passing holiday homes and end up at the far end of Pori beach and the cliffs to the left, tavernas right.

Then you can continue along Pori beach (south) then just follow the coast around back to the port. It passes all the beaches.

In all about 3 hours walk so you have time to eat and a dip in the sea at some mid point.

I have stayed on the island several times and every time I do this walk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

Great! thank you for the advice!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

When you walk down through the village, near the bottom you will see a street to the right with a supermarket on the corner facing you. To follow my route to the port beach take the street to the right and to take retired_hippy's route to Pori beach keep to the left of the supermarket.

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
44 reviews
119 helpful votes
6. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

We found the walk last month a bit too hot, so we opted to catch the boat at the first stop from the port. We thought it was a great choice, as we could check out the beaches on the way. We found Pori beach a bit too busy with no shade, and actually preferred the other beaches. The main port beach is lovely. Koufonissi is an amazing island with incredible water. We stayed there for 4 days, and I could have stayed longer. Enjoy!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

How much did the boat ride cost? Thanks

Edited: 4:04 am, September 07, 2018
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
44 reviews
119 helpful votes
8. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

About 6 Euros return each :))

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
10 helpful votes
9. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

Thanks

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?

You can rent bikes for €5. If you walk past the main town beach (with the beach on your right) there is a bike shop just up that road and there is also another bike shop approx 200m further up this road.

Reply to: Best way to spend 6 hours in Koufonissi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Koufonissi