We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

Aalborg, Denmark
5 posts
Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

Hello dear Small Cyclades experts! Your recommedations please...

We soon begin our Greek island-hopping odyssey, which includes a 2-3 hour "layover" on Koufonissi on a Sunday in early August. We're wondering if that allows time to see any of the fabled beaches that Koufonissi is famous for?

Our Blue Star ferry from Iraklia arrives at 14:15 and our SeaJets ferry to Santorini departs 17:00. I couldn't find information about SeaJets check-in times, but we'd like to be at the port around 16.30 to be safe (we're travelling with my kids and my parents). So we have about 2 hours to spend on Koufonissi.

This was the only ferry route I could find to squeeze in Koufonissi on a summer Sunday - otherwise I wouldn't have opted for SeaJets. Our accommodation and ferry tickets are already booked. As mentioned, we are 6 people travelling - 4x adults (including 2x over-60s) and 2x children. Walking is possible but we will be slow.

We would really like to get to a beautiful beach on Koufonissi for a swim. I know the beaches will be crowded, but if possible we'd like to get away from the port - unless you all think the beach there is amazing.

What do you think our options are? Do we even have an option or is there not enough time? :-D

Thanks in advance!

Mattbackwards

11 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

When you walk down the pier you will see a cafe/bar in front of you called Limani (which means port). Ask if you can leave your luggage there. There is no official left luggage place. Turn right and in 5 minutes you will soon find a beach, but it is near the port/town. If you want to go further it will take you at least 20 minutes (or longer if you are slow) and I don't think that one is any better than the one at the port as it is very narrow and if the sea is rough there isn't much dry sand at all. There are other better beaches further on, but you probably don't have time to warrant going any further. There is no rush to get back to the port half an hour before the departure as the Seajets ferry will be late - there is no check-in, you just need to be there when it arrives. You can sit in the Limani cafe/bar until you see it arrive.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,936 posts
14 reviews
64 helpful votes
2. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

The first beach to the east(right) is port beach an easy walk, it's OK but not the best which are further away, 2 Km and more.

So basically you don't have time. I would just do a port beach, Chora, port circle. The road up the hill left side of the port cafe mentioned leads directly to the centre of Chora, which is only one street anyway.

You will likely arrive late from Iraklia but you have to be in time for the next ferry you cannot assume that is going to be late, quite rare but they can actually be on time...

Aalborg, Denmark
5 posts
3. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

Thank you very much, gentlemen. That's good enough for me, coming from you two forum veterans.

We will visit the beautiful sounding port beach (aka Megali Ammos beach, correct?) The beach and local tavernas will be perfect for chilling out and watching for our SeaJets connection. Those that want to could visit the chora. By most accounts this beach is as good as the next couple anyway! :)

I appreciate your advice, thanks. Happy summer

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
23 reviews
36 helpful votes
4. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

You are correct, it is a pleasant little beach!..........

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

I will throw a spanner in the works by saying you could catch a small boat from the port and then get off at Finikas beach. Will cost you a few euros. There is good swimming there and a family run taverna (self service) and it’s only a 20 min walk back to the port.

Or there will probably be a bus to Finikas accommodation (who also run the beach taverna) meeting the boat, say you want eat at the taverna and they might give you a free ride. They are a friendly bunch. They may well be sending the bus back to meet the second boat so you could be in luck.

Having glass of something cold looking out to sea from there is my paradise.

The town beach is one of the best town beaches there is if you don’t venture further afield.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

Also my advice is get the Marine traffic app, then as long as you have WiFi you can check on the progress of your ferry.

Aalborg, Denmark
5 posts
7. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

Fantastic, thank you for such a tantalising spanner! A great option to have.

I think we'll freestyle it depending on how the ferries are running and our energy levels. Great tip with the marine app too.

Cheers

Prenton, United...
2 posts
1 review
8. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

We are in Koufonissi at the moment. Beautiful unspoilt island. Best Greek island I have ever been to... You can get to the nearest beach in five minutes from the port. The waters are amazingly clear and superb to swim in. Very safe for children. Sandy and shallow at the edge. Great little eateries nearby. You'll be sorry you've only got 3 hours!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
9. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

I didn't suggest the boat because it only runs every hour at most so trying to get there and back in your 3 hour layover, which could be less, probably wouldn't work.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
10. Re: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"

If you get the MarineTraffic app it will be useful to know that on Sundays the Seajet 2, on its way to Koufonissi, is scheduled to depart Santorini at 12.45, Naxos at 14.20, Mykonos at 15.20 and Naxos again at 16.10. You can discover the actual recent port departure times on the app to see if, and by how much, it's running late. Since its scheduled stops at Naxos and Mykonos are only for 10 minutes it will have no chance of making up lost time if it is indeed running late.

Reply to: Koufonissi beaches during 3 hour "layover"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Koufonissi