We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late September Koufonisia?

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Late September Koufonisia?

Hi

Hope someone can help.. we are going to santorini for our honeymoon then to Naxos for 6 nights, we are thinking of heading to Koufonisia afterwards for 4 nights ..this will be at the end of September, then catching the ferry to Athens.

Will ferries be ok from Naxos to Koufonisia at this time of year?

And will it be a ghost town? Will restaurants be open?? We don’t mind quiet but want some atmosphere?

Thanks

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

There are daily ferries (except sunday) between Naxos and Koufonissi provided by Blue Star and by the Express Skopelitis. The skopelitis does the daily routes, the blue star goes 2/3 times per week (check the websites).

As for how many people will be there: i have never been there myself at the end of september but i strongly suspect that the big crowds will have left by then yet the island will still be pleasantly alive. Koufonisi is popular, so the Restaurants and bars will be open.

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
2. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

Ah thanks for the information. Is it worth staying on Náxos the night before we go to Athens? Or go straight from Koufonisia.. I know it is going to take a long time by ferry to get to Athens and worried we will lose two days traveling.

Thanks

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

Most would recommend spending a night in Naxos. That would make for easier travel, splitting the long haul from Koufonisi to Athens in two easy parts. And reduce the risk of missing your connection.

On the other hand this would take away a day from your time in Koufonisi. And time is precious.

So if you don’t mind spending many hours on a ship i’d say go for the long haul. But make sure your connection allows a few hours in Naxos, to avoid missing the ferry to Athens in case of delay. Fyi: blue stars are more reliable than the Skopelitis.

4. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 pm, April 11, 2018
Nottingham, United...
6 posts
5. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

Ah ok, so the ferries from Koufonisia always go via Náxos? Direct ferries say there is a ferry 5hrs ish Koufonisia to Athens.

Is it also cheaper to book ferries before we go or do it when your there?

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,835 posts
14 reviews
64 helpful votes
6. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

It's entirely up to you, but I would put Koufonisia first then Naxos, logistically a bit easier.

You can go directly from Piraeus to Koufonisi on some days, on the others you change on Naxos.

From Santorini usually via Naxos.

That gets the most complex bit over first, the rest is just simple daily ferries back to Piraeus(or possibly Rafina).

Ferries are fixed prices, just buy them in the respective islands/ports. The conventional ferries when available are cheaper.

Edited: 8:35 am, April 10, 2018
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

On monday-, wednesday- and saturday-morning the Blue Star provides a direct transfer between Koufonisi and Athens. See the blue star website for details.

On other days you'll have to change ships in Naxos.

As retired_hippy said: it does make a bit more sense to go from santorini to Koufonisi, then to Naxos, then to Athens.

But no worries anyhow

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
8. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

Yeah I think you might be right, unfortunately we have already booked our accommodation in Naxos.. got a good deal.

Is there any other islands you would recommend, maybe on route to Athens?

We could like a chill out.. unspoilt beaches and love old Greek villages to wander and explore? Any ideas? Thanks :)

9. Re: Late September Koufonisia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 13, 2019
Get answers to your questions about Koufonissi