We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Activities at RDC

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
bc
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach Activities at RDC

I heard there was an unfortunate incident between a speed boat and some kayaker's at the end of Dec. at the RDC. The next day (Jan 1) I was told they got rid of all the Kayaks, Boogie Boards and Catamarans. Can anyone confirm?

Regina
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

We leave on Feb 15th for the Royal Decameron. It's probably our eighth time there, and will be VERY disappointed if there are no kayaks there! If anyone has just returned, and has any news on the situation, please post.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

Kayaks, boogie boards and catamaran are all back now.

canada
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

We just got back yesterday and they have a new group doing the watersports. There are kayaks, not as many as before, one catamaran, and new boogieboards and life jackets.

Victoria B.C.
Level Contributor
260 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

Are the catamaran outings free and do you sign up for them? I seem to recall that the RDC offer the rides free for guests. thanks.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

They are all running now, free for guests at RDC. You have to book at time. If it is too windy, catamaran won't run. It was windy the day we wanted to do it and the day before, it went out and the sail ripped so out of commision for a few days they said.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

Well that explains why they were so upset we took the kayaks out well past the designated area when we were there mid feb.

They came after us in another kayak. Made them work cause we were out pretty far. Water was calm and peaceful we couldn't figure out the big deal. Now it makes perfect sense.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

You can only go in the roped off area now. If you go past that, they blow whistles and go out to get you. The accident was fatal for that kayacker so they won't be taking any chances now.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

I just returned from RDC (Mar 15-22). A very unfortunate accident in December I hear. The staff wouldn't allow my 14 year old son to use a kayak (not even with an adult) or sail on a catamaran unless you're 16 years of age. He couldn't sign out a boogie board without an adult signature either. Yet, just down the beach my 14 year old had no issue operating a jetski. Make sure you don't pay more than $500 pesos to use the jetski and watch out if he hounds you for a tip.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

Better to be safe that sorry. Glad they are doing this. There are also life patrol people that walk up and down the beach now.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Beach Activities at RDC

Wow this is awful. I'm sorry to hear of the tragedy. I know about those boats though. They don't seem to care about swimmers or other people in kayaks ...many times the rope would come down near me or when they took someone up in parachute. I can understand being more safety focussed but what about regulating the boaters to make it safer? P.s. We used the kayaks every so often to see dolphins etc...but used to get a chuckle watching if folks would survive the waves getting out or in on the beach without capsizing. Hope to see it again late April

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias