We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

I have not been able to find anything on this forum. Just wondering if there are shells and sea glass to collect on the beach. If so, what kind of shells? Is there one spot better than the other. I imagine first thing in the morning and low tide are the best times. Any great finds ?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

Our teenagers are constantly picking up shells along the beach in Nuevo, which is similar to the beach in front of Bucerias. Although they haven't come up with anything too unusual or noteworthy to this point, and the shells are generally on the smaller side, over the years they've managed to find some interesting decorative specimens. The picking seems to vary from one day to the next, and one season to the next, depending on what the weather and waves are up to.

The most interesting thing I've picked up off the beach is an obsidian arrowhead, which I stumbled across while walking between Bucerias and La Cruz with my Dad back in 2007. Not sure how common they are in the area, it looks like this:

http://tinyurl.com/nd4jvr3

Edited: 4:32 pm, September 03, 2013
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

You never know what you will find in the early am.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

We have picked tons of sea glass all along the beach.

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
354 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

We have only been to Bucerias in January. Last year was the first time that I found a lot of sea glass. Some years I find more shells than other years. I have never found any big shells but do have a big jar in my living room with all my shells that I have collected there over the years. In 2010 we were finding a lot of old Mexican tile. The lady in the house behind us started collecting it to make a mosaic outdoor table for her house.

OT_Bound - That is so cool that you found an arrowhead!

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

Thank you everyone for replying.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

I used to collect sand from the beaches that I travel to but now that I return to RDC and Bucerias every year it seems redundant so I collect sea glass instead. There are good days and not as good days. There seems to be more North of the resort. Enjoy!!

7. Re: Sea Glass and Shell Collecting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias